51 | the i n t r o d u c t i o n

| Z O Y A |

      ZOYA SIGHED when they paused outside her door.

"Mamas," Caden said, gently placing a finger beneath her chin and making her look up at him.

Zoya sadly smiled. Despite the rollercoaster she was on after all she learned, Caden always managed to ease her mind.

"I'm okay," she said.

"You're not," Caden disagreed. "Don't lie to me."

Zoya sighed in defeat. "I just want to go inside."

"You're the one with the key."

Zoya playfully rolled her eyes before opening the door. They entered the dorm and she flicked the switch on, thankful that Pia wasn't here as yet.

She's been sleeping out lately. . .

Caden busied himself while Zoya showered, taking all the time in the world. She hoped the scorching water could've rid the pain she felt.

On the other hand, she still wanted to feel.

Alyssa had been feeling so many things all at once, and all by herself, while Zoya was oblivious to it.

Finished showering, Zoya thought she deserved this pain.

We all failed her, she thought, solemnly watching Caden approach her with a small bag.

"I got you something," he said.

"You did?" she asked, wearily eyeing the small giftbag.

"Yea," he replied, nodding. "Ryder was holding onto it for me, I didn't want you to see it yet."

Accepting the bag with a thanks, she removed the wrapper then brightly smiled. "How'd you know this is my favorite book?!"

"I didn't," he said, chuckling. "I saw it and thought you'd like it."

Zoya's grin widened and without another word, she tipped up and threw her arms around his neck. She had a silly smile on her face when Caden's arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer, making her heart flutter.

"Thank you," she said again, feeling teary as she eyed the teal and pink colored cover. She'd read the book too many times to count, and she was more than excited to read it again. Because it was from him.

"You're gonna read it now, aren't you?"

"Yu know yu nafi ask that!" she answered, moving to her bed and smiling when he joined her.

Something about this small bed that always makes his body press really close to mine. . .

Flipping to the first page, she got lost in the fantasy world while Caden silently tapped away on his phone and trailed patterns on her arm.

This was a welcomed distraction from the horrors of the outside world, and she wished they could stay here forever.

Unfortunately, when that sour thought hit her, she could no longer enjoy the peace that came with being with the boy who was undeniably her favorite person.

Resting the novel aside, she snaked a hand up his shirt. Her fingertips lightly grazed his toned abdomen and she felt him intake a sharp breath.

"Caden."

"Yes, baby?"

"I'm not crosses anymore?"

"You're always my crosses, Z."

She playfully rolled her eyes, not wanting to admit that the nickname was growing on her.

As a yamhead.