38 | the o m i n o u s

| C A D E N |

CADEN WISHED TO BE ANYWHERE BUT HERE - this mass funeral. Coach Pikes died yesterday so his body was not here, neither was William's.

It felt overwhelming, especially because, ever so often, people would glance at him with whispers.

He couldn't hear what they were saying, but he was sure it was along the lines of, 'Look. Him right there. He's a victim too.'

Caden heaved a sigh and felt the grip on his hand tighten. He glanced beside him and Zoya comfortingly smiled.

He didn't return it. Instead, he scanned the crowd. He saw Liam; Grace and Christian; and even Grace's friend Emily.

Caden couldn't wait for the funeral to end.

When it did, he grabbed Zoya's hand and almost ran outside with her. He carried them away from the crowd and he sat on a wall. She stood between his legs, her arms wrapped around his waist. Caden held her close, inhaling her scent and feeling his muscles relax.

At times, he was scared how vulnerable she made him. He wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing. . . He'd never had this before.

"I feel guilty," he whispered.

"What are you guilty about?" she asked.

"Everything."

"Survivor's guilt?"

"I don't know," he answered, allowing her to turn in his hold. "I see my classmates' bodies, Coach Pikes' candle and I see my bullet wound, but it still doesn't feel real."

"That's understandable. You went through something traumatic."

"Coach saved my life. I think he was hiding before. . ."

"He died so you and your classmates could live."

"It isn't fair-"

"Life isn't fair."

"That's why it makes me think I should have died."

"Wa?" Zoya exclaimed, turning to look at him. "Wa yu just seh to me?"

Watching her bewildered expression, he couldn't help but to smile. Her eyes narrowed into slits and his smile widened.

"Mi naa smile wid yu, Caden."

"Sorry," he said with a low chuckle. "You're cute when you're angry."

"I'm not trying to be cute. Stop saying you wish you were dead."

Seeing tears spring to her eyes, he began to apologize. "Z, don't cry. You said he died so we can live, right? So ima live. Who else ima laugh at because they can't skate?"

"Mi cya stand yu, dirty Caden."

"Dirty Caden?" he asked with a smirk.

"I don't mean that how you're taking it," she said, rolling her eyes and returning to her prior position.

With a low chuckle, he kissed the side of her head.

This was what he loved about her - they could be serious one minute and laughing the next. With her, everything naturally flowed. He never had to pretend to be someone he wasn't. He was simply him and she. . . she was simply her.

My Zoya.

"Are you still going to the party?" she asked.

"Prolly not."

"Why not?"

"Too much shit's been happening lately."

"True but don't start being less Caden on me. Coach wouldn't want that."