21 | the i n d e s c r i b a b l e

| C A D E N |

     I CAN'T GET HER OUT MY MIND.

The almost child-like excitement from being around a person and smiling because they were smiling, was something he hadn't felt in a long, long time.

Does she even feel like this?, he wondered while cashing out a customer.

She looked sad when yeen get to kiss her, his subconscious reminded.

Caden sighed. He hated that he left her hanging. It had physically hurt to pull away and tell her he needed to leave. All he'd wanted was to wrap his arm around her waist and pull her closer, kissing her soft lips until he ran out of breath.

But my job would've been on the line. . .

Thinking about it had him reliving the thrill of the moment. Their lips brushed and the feeling was indescribable, better than anything he'd ever felt or could've imagined. A mere word couldn't describe the feeling, but an insatiable crave for her, summed it up pretty well.

Ima whimp, Caden thought, having caught himself daydreaming about her. He hadn't done this since middle school. A part of him hated to admit it, but the part still basking in Zoya's scent, confessed that he had just a touch of Cloud Nine and wouldn't be able to stay away.

Finished making a black coffee, Caden carefully placed it before the customer who smiled in thanks.

"Hey, Caden," he said, making Caden pause going to the back-room.

"How may I help you?" he asked, eyeing the drink and wondering if he messed up. He didn't have many talents, but he could make a mean coffee. In fact, he prided himself in it.

"Nah, man, it's good," the boy said with a satisfied sip. "I just have a question."

"Shoot."

"Why did you leave Riveria?"

Caden narrowed his eyes. "Do I know you?"

"Allyuh must have hit your head. I'm Kevin. You forgot me?"

"Oh. . . Kevin," Caden said with recognition. "I was expelled."

"Yea, I know that. Why?" Kevin pressed. "The soccer team doh talk about it so I figure it has something to do with them."

"That's the past," Caden said, shrugging. "Let me know when you're ready to cash out."

"Mm," Kevin hummed, watching Caden walk off.

In the back room, he saw Ryder putting something in a bag.

"You weren't supposed to see it as yet," Ryder exclaimed.

"See what?" Caden asked.

Ryder sighed before handing Caden the bag. It was the newest pair of Air Jordans and Caden's eyes widened.

"It's tight for me so I think it'll fit you better. It's brand new, never worn."

Caden's first instinct was to decline, this was too expensive of a gift for him to accept. Knowing Ryder wouldn't allow him to, Caden accepted it with a smile.

***

     CADEN WAS APPROACHING the beggar that usually idled around Sugarz. Seeing the old man extend his pan, Caden remembered the hours-old conversation with Zoya.

Watching Caden place a five dollar note in his pan, the beggar's lips twisted into a smile while his eyes shone with unshed tears. "Thank you."

Sensing the man's happiness and gratitude, Caden remembered it didn't hurt to be kind.