10 | the r e l i e f

| C A D E N |

     LEAVING SOCCER PRACTICE, Caden was somewhat listening to what Ryder was saying. He kept thinking about Zoya's voice - so calm and soothing. It was strange how she reminded him of home, because that was not something he wanted anything to remind him off. Yet she did. She brought him back to a time when life was much simpler.

"Bro, where'd you go?" asked Ryder, realizing his friend had seemingly zoned out.

"Nowhere. Watchu say?"

"The guy I'm talking to. The other day with him was amazing."

Caden scoffed. "You needa respect yourself."

"I do," Ryder said, voice low.

"Cap."

"You wouldn't understand."

"Clearly," Caden said before clearing his throat and coming to a stop. He pulled Ryder away from the crowd, his heart palpitating at what he was about to do. He never wanted things to come to this, but he was running out of options and Ryder was the only person he trusted enough to owe a debt without grave consequences. "I'm in some trouble and I need your help."

"Sure, man. Anything."

"I need fifteen hundred by tomorrow. Ima repay you-"

"Fifteen hundred?!" Ryder exclaimed, almost choking from surprise. "What do you need that much for?" he asked, tone back to normal.

Caden sighed. "I needa repay a loan."

"Was this why you were selling at the debate? Why your face is bruised?"

"Yea. . . I had most the money in a safe place but it ain't there no more," Caden confessed with a defeated sigh. "You know I wouldn't ask you if I ain't really need it. Please, man."

"Don't worry, I got you. I have cash at home and I can get some from the bank," Ryder said, patting his friend's shoulder as they walked off together. "You don't have to repay me, you're my brother. You've always got my back so I got yours."

Caden found himself sadly smiling as memories hit him. . . When the soccer team incident happened at Wesriveria, Ryder transferred with Caden. Ryder always said that Caden was the only one on the team who looked past his sexuality and stuck up for him whenever he got bullied by the other players, so he felt it was only fair he left too.

On the topic of bullies, Caden went grim when he saw William, looking a bit red in the cheek.

Fucking Kash, Caden thought, angered. He wanted to do something about William's bullying, but the last time not minding his business sent his life in this spiral.

So. . . Caden kept his head held high, walking pass William who was on the verge of tears as he prepped to leave school for the day.

***

After he collected the money from Ryder, Caden immediately made his way to Striker's traphouse.

Needa get this shit over with before Donovan can fuck me over again.

Butcher led Caden through hallways then knocked on the door and waited. Butcher evilly grinned at Caden when Striker told them to enter.

"I got yo money," Caden said, pulling the coil of hundreds and fifties out and placing them on the desk.

With a wave of a hand, Striker called someone over to count it.

Caden felt his heart beating in his ear. He was beyond anxious and considered sending a prayer to God that none of the notes were fake.