20 | the d é j à v u

| A L Y S S A |

     WALKING DOWN THE HALLWAY, she was annoyed by the constant texts from her mom.

I love my mom but she thinks I'm a best friend who should always be available to her. I hate that.

Hearing a door slam, Alyssa looked up to see a female student running down the hallway. Figuring it was someone late for class, Alyssa rolled her eyes and looked to her phone.

MOM: I need you sweetie. Skip school and spend the day with me.

Me: school's over & i'm going to the soccer game.

MOM: Please Alyssa. Be a good daughter.

Alyssa sighed before responding. She entered the Chemistry classroom to see Professor Alexi spraying something that strongly smelled of vanilla. Coughing, she dropped a file on his desk and turned to leave.

"Alyssa," he called out, making her freeze. "Where are your manners?"

She motioned to the files on the desk. "For you."

"Obviously."

"I'm leaving," she said. "Professor," she added, making a mockery of his title.

"Have a good rest of your day, Alyssa," he replied, diverting his attention to the files.

With a tight smile, Alyssa left school then went home. Climbing the stairs, she laughed at a text Zoya sent.

Z: Caden's here and I was going to talk to him but I saw Grace. Mi upset 🙄

ALYSSA: don't let his girlfriend stop you from making yourself his wife ;)

Z: Iktr 😂 Have fun with your mom ❤️

ME: i will :D

Her grip around the phone tightened at her own hypocrisy. Finding her parent's room, Alyssa saw her mom drinking sparkling water while relaxing in the bath.

Alyssa sat in a chair with a burdened sigh. "Mom, is it safe for you to be drinking after getting botox last week?"

"Yes, baby. Don't be silly," Delilah said, laughing. "Guess what, sweetheart?"

"What?" Alyssa apathetically asked.

"I'm pregnant!" Delilah announced, making Alyssa freeze. "Your dad is going to be so happy!"

"Pregnant?" Alyssa disbelievingly asked.

She's not a good parent to me. Why's she pregnant again?, Alyssa bitterly wondered.

Delilah excitedly nodded.

Alyssa got up and walked away. "Happy for you and him-"

"Him?!" hissed Delilah. "He is your father."

Turning, Alyssa smiled. "I'm happy for you and dad. I'm going to my room."

Delilah nodded.

Alyssa spent the rest of the day in her room - browsing the web, sleeping, working on her laptop and doing light reading of perfect romance and families - until Delilah called for dinner.

Now sitting around the table, she stiffened when her dad approached from behind and squeezed her shoulder in greeting.

"How was school today?" he asked.

"I left early. . ." she answered, stabbing at the chicken in her plate.

"I thought you went to the game?"