43 | the f o o l ' s h o p e

| A L Y S S A |

     HOME ALONE, she was busy doing homework on her laptop.

These teachers are acting as if next month isn't the end of school. . .

Her high school journey was anything but ordinary. There were many lessons learned, and many losses. But she was close to the end. It would all be worth it.

This is for me and Lizbeth.

Feeling the bed vibrate, Alyssa hastily grabbed her phone. She read the texts, then nodded in approval.

Returning to her homework, she couldn't fight a smile. . .

| Z O Y A |

     Alexi suddenly stopped his unwanted kisses, his body weight growing more heavy atop her.

"Alexi. . . I can't breathe," she forced out, pushing at his chest but he didn't budge.

Black spots dotted her vision. She was about to pass out.

With strength she didn't know she still had in her, she managed to slip half of her body from beneath his. Intaking a big breath, Zoya used her remaining strength to forcefully pull her body from below him.

Taking a moment to catch her breath, she glared down at him. His hazy eyes fluttered closed and his breathing slowed.

Dirty man!

Grabbing her bag, she ran out the cabin. She didn't look back until she was far, far away. Even then, her heart was still running a marathon.

As she stood before Wesriveria's gate, she wondered if she'd ever be free of this shaken-up feeling. It was unbelievable what almost happened.

Why did I let Alyssa talk me into this? I should stop saying yes so easily. Look wa almost happened to me-

Intaking a big breath to calm her nerves, she entered her building. Walking pass the lobby, she saw the usual crowd before the television.

She didn't plan to stop, but curiosity got the best of her. She inched closer, listening to the news anchor.

"Kenzie Richards, reporting live for RJN. Behind me, is the house that forty-two year old Mason Cutbert held a fifteen year old girl hostage for the past three months. It's being reported that earlier this morning, police were closing in on him. They couldn't infiltrate the premises before Cutbert committed murder-suicide-"

Zoya eye's widened and she took a step back from shock.

She ran up to her room. Ignoring Pia, she hopped in the shower, angrily scrubbing at her skin. She felt disgusting and dirty.

That could've been me, she thought. She began to blame herself for the situation she was in.

She was unsure how long she stayed in the shower, feeling the hot water scorch her skin. But when she set the first foot out the shower, she felt anew.

Being a people-pleaser almost ripped me from my last shred of dignity. Screw that. I'm putting my foot down right now, today.

She wasn't sure what she'd do if Alyssa were to broadcast her secret, but she was sure of one thing:

The next time I say no. . . I mean it. I won't feel guilty.

***

     MONDAY MORNING, Zoya was surprised that Alexi wasn't in class.