35 | the c l a i m

| Z O Y A |

SPRAYING HERSELF WITH A FRUITY FRAGRANCE, Zoya smiled at her outfit in the mirror. She was dressed simply: a tight-fitting shorts and Caden's hoodie.

Yesterday, Caden promised to hold up his promise to teach her to skate.

She exited the bathroom and while she tugged her shoes on, Pia went into the bathroom. A short moment after, Pia exited and said, "I think I have a UTI. It hurts so bad when I pee."

"Go to the school nurse?" Zoya suggested.

"I will," Pia said with a smile then wiggled her eyebrows. "Have fun with Caden."

Zoya bit back a blush. "I will."

When she arrived, she was pleased to see Ryder. She pulled him into a tight hug.

Ryder sighed. "Now I see why some men are straight."

"What do you mean?" asked Zoya as she pulled back.

"Nothing," Ryder said with a wink as Caden walked up to them. He'd ran to Ryder's car for a different skateboard.

"Ready?" he asked her and she excitedly nodded.

While he taught her how to skate, they spoke about the shooting.

"The county is thinking about closing school for the rest of the semester," said Ryder.

"What?" Zoya exclaimed.

"Z, focus," Caden said, tightening his hands around her waist.

"Sorry," she said and refocused. "I understand but. . . it's so sad. Many of you won't get to finish senior year and college scouts-" she paused, looking down at Caden who tensed. She placed a hand on his, signalling them to stop. Knowing apologizing annoyed him, she said, "There will be other opportunities for you."

"I doubt that," he muttered.

She looked towards Ryder for help and he shrugged from defeat. Zoya sighed and dismounted the skateboard. She took a seat next to Ryder on a nearby wall, watching as Caden took her place and started doing tricks on it.

She sadly smiled.

"Were you depending on the game too?" she whispered to Ryder.

Ryder shook his head. "No, I'm not doing soccer in college. I feel for Caden though."

"Me too."

"I can only imagine what he's going through. I was supposed to be in the class too but. . . " Ryder paused to sigh. "Has he talked to you?" Seeing her nod, he smiled. "You're good for him, you know?"

Zoya smiled.

He's good for me too.

Their conversation ended. The wind, skateboard's wheels against the ground and vehicles driving on the overhead bridge filled the silence.

Ryder stood with his phone in hand. "I have to go. I have a. . . um, thing."

"Bye, Ryder," she said, giving him a knowing smile as he walked away.

Me cya manage ino.

She watched as he dapped up Caden before leaving.

Caden came over and sat by her. "You good?"

She nodded. "Aren't you scared to hang around him?"

Caden's brows raised to his hairline. "Scared?"

"Sorry, I'm just realizing how ignorant that sounded," she said. "I guess what I'm trying to say is. . . most of America's customs are still new to me. Back home, I don't know one straight guy whose closest friend is gay."