37 | the a r m o r

| C A D E N |

     AFTER CADEN LEFT THE MEMORIAL, he visited Coach Pikes. Sitting across from the man, Caden was grim. Coach Pikes' health was rapidly deteriorating,, the doctors were losing hope.

"You're looking at me like I'm already dead, Scott," said Bruce with a short laugh. "Man up before I give you two laps."

Despite the situation, Caden chuckled. "Coach, you can't even do two laps."

Bruce sadly chuckled. "Yea, it's not looking too good for me."

"You sound like you're accepting defeat, Coach."

He sighed. "Scott, there's nothing I can do. If it's my time, it's my time. I lived a full life."

Caden sighed and looked away.

"You okay, Scott?" he asked. "This seems like more than concern over the man who you owe four laps."

"Coach. . . I just," he paused to sigh. "My ex-girl's dad is trying to give me a scholarship. But her dad isn't fond of me, ion trust him."

Coach Pikes took a moment before he said, "But you trust her, no? I think you should accept it, Scott. None of us are bigger than help."

Caden mulled over that before thanking his coach. He told Grace he'd meet to give her his answer, so that night they agreed to meet up at the late-night diner that was down the road from Sugarz.

A car pulled up across the street at the nearby gas station, thinking it was Grace, he looked over. He didn't see Grace, but he saw his girl.

Caden's eyes narrowed when he saw her take a seat in the front. Less than a second later, the darkly-tinted car drove off, going out of town.

The fuck?

Caden pulled his phone out, planning on texting her. He typed up the message, simply asking if she was good. But he decided against sending it.

Grace had arrived.

And was new to this. He didn't want to seem like a controlling boyfriend.

***

     WALKING THROUGH THE STREETS IN HIS NEIGHBORHOOD, Caden was surprised to see a news van parked before Kash's house. He saw Kash's mother crying while a news anchor held her microphone to the woman's mouth.

Why the fuck do they have her on national television like this?, Caden thought with a scowl, eyeing the woman's beaten down attire.

"Kash was a good boy!" cried Tash Jones, pointing to a picture of Kash clutched in her hand. "He never hurt nobody! That boy killed him and ain't nobody rioting, I ain't getting no justice! But if it was my baby-"

Caden glared at Tash before he continued his journey home. Entering the house, he saw Donovan shrugging on a jacket. Caden couldn't help but to notice a beer bottle nearby.

"Ignore that," Donovan said, hiding the bottle with his body. "I just took a little sip."

Caden didn't answer.

"The Stones invited us for dinner."

"Oh. . . I'll go get ready," Caden said, moving to the bathroom.

The warm water ran over his tense muscles, somewhat relaxing his nerves. He thought back to Zoya, wondering where she could possibly be. He wanted so badly to text her, but he was trying not to backtrack on his words.

To take his mind off what she was up to, he started thinking of their good memories. He found himself thinking of her pouty lips, her ample breasts and the curves of her small yet round ass.