39 | the b e t r a y a l

| Z O Y A |

     LOOKING DOWN AT HER COUSIN, she sighed. Uncle Herman was standing beside her with his face stoic.

"Suppose yu did get mi ina trouble?" Herman hissed.

Malique sighed and looked away, holding the ice-pack closer to his head.

"Ano you me a talk to, boy?" Herman asked.

Zoya nervously swallowed. She hated that her uncle was being so hard when Malique could've lost his life, but the man scared her at times too.

Malique didn't answer and Herman's glare deepened. "A America yu deh. Mek mi hear seh yaa drink and drive again and see if mi nuh send yu back to Jamaica."

"Ah, boss," Malique answered.

"And you, Zoya," Herman said, turning his icy glare on her. "Why did you allow him to drive after he was drinking?"

"He didn't drink a lot, Uncle," Zoya lied, knowing the level of Malique's blood alcohol content was through the roof.

Herman gave them both a glare before he stormed out.

Zoya's shoulders sagged as Pia ran into the room. She sat beside Malique and began to fuss over him. She hugged him and Malique kissed the side of her face, "Mi good, baby."

"I was worried," Pia cried. "Is this too tight?" she referred to his neck brace.

Feeling like she was intruding, Zoya left. She went outside for some fresh air and saw Gio. "Hey."

Clearing his throat, Gio smiled at Zoya. "How is he?"

"The doctors said his neck will be okay but he got a pretty bad hit to the head. They're keeping him overnight for observation."

"That's good."

"Yea, thank God you came when you did."

"A class mi did a come from ino. Saw the accident and stopped to ask if they needed help, that's when I saw Malique ran himself and that old lady off the road. She good doh?"

"She fractured her hip but she'll be fine. Malique though. . . they're suspending his license."

"Jah. Herman a bad bout it?"

"Yu know yu nafi ask that. Thanks again for rushing everyone to the hospital."

Gio nodded. "Yea no problem. He needs someone to look out for him sometimes."

Remembering her Uncle was yet to ask Malique how he was doing, Zoya heavily sighed. "Yea, I know what you mean."

***

     IT WAS MONDAY and Zoya was making her way to her first class of the day. Pushing the doors of the Chemistry classroom opened, a strong scent of vanilla hit her. Coughing, she made her way to her seat.

Ignoring Alexi, Zoya sat next to ShaunaKaye. They were the first students to arrive.

"You okay?" Zoya asked and Shauna raised a brow. "The nausea-"

"Yea, yea," Shauna said, eyes darting to Alexi who was walking to the door. "I'm fine now. The ginger really helps."

Minutes later, her classmates trickled in and class was in session. They had a test today and she could barely focus, but she still tried her best to settle the nerves. She imagined she was in her room, studying with Caden while she used all that Noah and her revised.

She was the last to finish her test, but she still felt accomplished.

Placing the paper on his desk, she was about to move away when Alexi grabbed her wrist.