34 | the f a u l t

| Z O Y A |

     RELIEF REPLACED THE BLOOD IN HER VEINS. Tears sprang to her eyes when Caden's arms tightened around her. They hugged for what felt like an eternity, it felt great to see him after two nerve-wracking days.

Thank you, God.

Pulling away, she looked him all over. His eyes were glimmering in amusement and more tears escaped hers.

Zoya kissed him, smiling when he returned it with a force. When Caden stuck his tongue inside her mouth, she almost melted. She was on a high, one she never wanted to fall from.

Breaking the kiss, she hugged him again. "I was so worried."

"My bad, I didn-"

"Caden. Shh. I'm just happy you're okay."

The sound of approaching footsteps interrupted their reunion. It was Pia and Malique.

"Caden!" Pia exclaimed. "Thank God you're okay."

Malique looked between his cousin and Caden before saying, "Nice to know you good."

Caden's brows furrowed before he replied, "'Preciate it."

"Ryder?"

Why am I not surprised?, Zoya thought, listening as Caden told Malique that Ryder wasn't hurt.

"We're ditching class to chill at Malique, if you guys want to come. . ." said Pia.

Zoya shook her head. "Caden needs-"

Caden interrupted her. "It's fine. We can go."

"Are you sure?" she asked and he nodded.

Smiling, Zoya linked their hands and went to Malique's car. In quick time, they were at Malique's apartment. Zoya and Caden were on the small porch while Pia and Malique disappeared into the room. Ryder and their other friends were on their way over.

"Z, I'm fine," Caden was saying now.

Zoya frowned as she looked at the bullet scar on his abdomen. It had her complete focus, she couldn't even take the time to appreciate his devilishly hot body with the six pack. "Does it hurt?"

Caden shook his head then laughed. "Why do you look more worried than me?"

"Because I am!" she exclaimed then sighed. "I'm really sorry you had to go through that."

"It's good-"

"No, don't say that. You could- you could've-"

"But I didn't," he said then pulled her down to straddle him. "Z, I don't want to talk about it, okay? Can we go back to being just us?"

With a deep inhale, she nodded.

Caden gave her a grin that had her heart doing somersaults.

"Okay, let's go inside," Zoya said. "I think I hear everyone else."

"Okay," Caden said, smirking from amusement when Zoya extended a hand to help him up. "I can still do things by myself you know."

"Caden, shut up and mek mi help yu."

"Yes, ma'am," he joked, making her shake her head as she held the door open for him.

They entered the living room to see Noah, Jacob, Ryder and two of Pia's choir friends.

"Where's Alyssa?" Zoya asked.

"She said she's busy," Pia replied.

"Oh. . ."