028

Sitting along the edge of the bed

You braided your hair to keep it away from your face, failing because of the little flyaways falling gently across your cheekbones.

You also realized halfway through that you had no hair tie, so it was useless to even finish the braid, but you did anyway.

It had been a few months since your arrival at this place. You had expected much different. Come to find out you were treated like pigs in a pen.

Your eyes had sunken down, the brighter eyes now more lifeless than they were before. Eyebags had formed from the sleepless nights you spent sitting and watching the moon through the crack of a window in your cell.

The both of you had grown quite comfortable with each other. There was almost a silent rule the two of you made to look out for each other.

He helped with your loose bandages, you helped with his. Both of you did not tell each other of the people you were before, but perhaps one day you would.

Both of you were tired of this place, barely getting anything to eat or drink.

Being here, you would turn your head every night, eyeing the bed that third bed that was empty. Besides you and the boy, no one else slept here.

You chalked it up to just being there in case it would be needed.

Even though you would eventually fall asleep, sleeping was getting harder to do.

Ever since you gave the scarf to the other boy, he's been wearing it nonstop because of how cold it could get. Although it seemed like that was something a friend would do, you both barely even conversed with each other.

You only really saw him on your days off. When you both wouldn't be getting tested on like lab rats.

You would use what little the guards gave you and patched up the boy while he silently watched.