Lady Fate

Chapter Eleven:

Lady Fate

SHINARA POV

"What do you think of Kaitou Kid?" asked the young Detective Hakuba.

She paused for a moment, unsure of what to say. What did she really think of Kaitou Kid? She wondered to herself. He was funny, brave, charming, optimistic, somewhat annoying, egotistical, intelligent, creative, spontaneous and a whole bunch of other things, but if she could describe him in one word...

"I think he is... magical", she said with a smile.

A burst of laughter from a nearby policeman had both her and Hakuba looking up in confusion. The policeman didn't say anything, but instead turned away as he continued his 'observations'. Hakuba just sighed and turned back to her, but she continued to stare at the policeman.

'Could it be?' she wondered, yeah...she had no doubt.

The policeman in question glanced back at her and when he noticed her staring at him, his face blushed a deep red as he scratched his neck in embarrassment and surprisingly stepped over towards them.

"S-sorry about that", he said with a bit of an accent, "I noticed one of the reporters going at it with another reporter and it just struck me funny."

She could tell he was lying through his teeth, but she saw no reason to call him on it. After all, she hadn't come to arrest him. Merely to observe and assist the police with a plan, should they request it of her. As for Hakuba, she noticed him looking at the 'policeman' as though he had grown two heads. She just smiled as she glanced at her watch hidden beneath her sweater. The heist would begin in just a moment. Looking up, she was going to say something to the policeman to get him safely out of the room, but when she glanced up, he was already gone.

She smiled. 'Sneaky jerk' she thought in her head.

Because of this, it didn't really surprise her when the lights went out and the phantom thief appeared in a mist of smoke as soon as they came back on. She watched in amusement as the police surrounded him, but didn't move any closer.

KID POV

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" he yelled to the surrounding police and reporters.

He skimmed across the lot of them with his eyes as he found the location once again of Kudo and Hakuba who were both watching from the back with... What kind of expressions are those!

He raised an eyebrow mentally at their faces.

Hakuba looked rather bored and Shinara...she looked completely amused. 'Well whatever,' he thought to himself with a smile, at least this way they wouldn't be chasing him yet.

"Kaitou Kid! You will never get the jewel!" yelled Nakamori.

Kid just ignored the Inspector. It was the same lines every time and honestly, he hadn't come to match wits with the old man. He wanted to check the jewel to see if it was the right one...if it was truly Pandora.

"My apologies gentlemen", he replied as he bowed, "but I am afraid I will be stealing two things tonight."

The inspector and his men all frowned, confusion evident in their faces.

"I will be stealing the jewel and..." he looked back at Shinara Kudo who was watching him with curiosity.

Before anyone knew how it had happened, he had practically transported himself to the other side of the room. Hakuba moved in seconds closer to the doors, trying to block them in case the thief wanted to escape that way, so luckily for Kaito, this left Shinara wife open.