Conclusion

Chapter Thirty-one:

Conclusion

SHINARA POV

Shinara stared out the window of the hospital as she thought about everything that had happened in the past three months. She had tried to take down BO only to fail. She had returned to her rightful body and had met Kaitou Kid as herself only to start dating the boy. She had been a part of a ghost story as well as a kidnapping and now she had finally finished her life goal of taking BO and MKO down for good as it should have been in the first place. The boss was dead, Snake was dead, Chianti was dead and there was no sign of the Black Organization ever coming back again. Bourbon had returned to the secret police to take his rightful place as Captain of his own department. Vermouth's body was never found and Shinara was sure she was still alive, but she knew she had nothing to worry about from the assassin. It was her loss and Vermouth wasn't one to seek revenge. As for Kaitou Kid, he had vanished in the aftermath of the takedown. There were rumors that he had died in the operation, while others said that he was merely biding his time until his grand return. Only those who really knew Kid however, were aware of the real story.

Bourbon had kept his end of the bargain and after seeing the body of Snake, he handed over the last letter that Kaito's father had ever written anyone. Kid had taken the letter, but never said a word, the pain and guilt of the life he had taken still lingering in his eyes. Jii and Chikage had taken Kaito away for a while to get treated for his injuries away from prying eyes with the excuse of a family vacation. As for me, I was patiently waiting for his return.

A knock on my door took me from my thoughts as I watched Ai stick her head around the corner.

"I just got word that Korn and the others who survived the operation have been charged with murder on several accounts as well as terrorism. Korn and four others got the death penalty and the rest won't ever see the light of day again."

Shinara turned her head away to look out the window. The sunset making her feel warmer as she curled in on herself.

"I can't believe it's finally over", she whispered.

"Shinara."

Shin turned to look at Ai who had moved closer, her head hanging low.

"What's wrong Ai?" Kudo asked curiously. It was rare to see her friend acting like this.

"I..." Ai huffed as she looked up and smiled the gentlest smile that Shinara had ever seen her friend give before. "Thank you."

Kudo smiled warmly at her as she stretched out her hand and took the small adult turned child's into her own.

"Thank you...for never giving up on me", said Shinara, "I couldn't have made it this far without you."

"Don't I know it", Ai snickered and Shinara laughed, but the two held each other's gaze as they smiled knowingly. Everything between them was understood and to them, it needed no words spoken aloud.

1 week later...

It was two weeks after the takedown of BO and Shinara was lying in her bed at home, the window open to allow the moonlight into her small room. The gentle breeze swept a warm caress around her body and she smiled contently, her dreams turning to that of a tall, dark and handsome knight in a suit of white.

"Kaito..." she whispered in her sleep.

A gentle hand reached out and smoothed down her hair as she slept. He smiled as he took in her silk nightgown that seemed to shine in the light of the moon.

"My angelic dove", he whispered as he thought of the bird he had found on the roof all those nights ago and smiled.

He knelt beside her bed and pressed his lips against her own, softly and kindly as she blinked her in surprise, blue meeting indigo. She continued to lay there, looking into his eyes as they both smiled, their faces only centimeters apart.

"Welcome home, Kaito", she whispered as she reached out and touched his face.

He smiled as he leaned into her touch.

"I'm home again, Shin-chan", he whispered back.

She leaned forward, capturing his lips with her own as she dropped back onto the bed. He followed her down, a battle of passions warring within them as they tried to express their love the best they could to one another.

"What took you so long, idiot Kaito", she whispered again as she nuzzled his neck.

"I'm sorry", he whispered back as he kissed her ear and down her neckline, "I used my father's letter to track a location to where the jewel may be."

She stopped and looked up at him in surprise.

"You think you might actually find it this time?" she asked with hope.

He smiled and nodded as he took her hand and kissed each finger.

"I think so", he grinned.

She ran her fingers through his hair and took in the scent of vanilla that drifted from him, a sweet, charming scent that made her smile.

"When you find the jewel...what will you do?" she asked.

He froze for a moment before a small smile graced his lips, "Kaitou Kid will end", he replied.

"That's it?" she asked, "What about..."

His lips pressed against her own, stopping her flow of questions that had started to come out. She wanted to know what he planned to do in the future. She wanted to know if he would continue magic. She wanted to know...if he would be with her...forever.

"The future is a never ending spiral of time", he whispered as he pulled her into his arms, her head laying on his shoulder, "And I would love it, if you would stay by my side through it all."

She looked up at him, her eyes widening as he slipped off the side of the bed and knelt in front of her. He opened a small white box and displayed a small white gold ring with a single rose shaped diamond.

"I know we still have a year before we graduate and perhaps longer for college", he said as his face reddened, "but I would love it if after we graduate, at some point, you would spend the rest of your life with me?"

She stared at him and at the ring, before the tears started slipping down her cheeks. Her shoulders shook as he gaped, his mouth opening and closing like a fish.

"I-I'm sorry", he choked as he started to stand up, "I wasn't trying to...I didn't mean to..."

Her hand grasped his white coat as she shook her head emphatically, roughly yanking him down beside her on the bed, his eyes trying and failing to hide the pain of rejection.

"I..." she stuttered as the tears continued to flow, "I'm so happy", she whispered.

"Huh?" he asked stunned and terribly confused.

"I didn't think...I thought you wouldn't want me around anymore", she said as she tried to fight for control of her emotions, "I thought that maybe...me being around would be too painful a memory for you. I thought..."

He grabbed her to him, an embrace so tight that she could hardly breathe by the time he pulled back a little. He stared into her face, his eyes the most serious she had ever seen them.

"I love you, Shinara Kudo", he said as he took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto her ring finger, "I love you and I will never not want you around. You...You are the only thing in this world I truly have left. You are my most precious jewel."

Kudo sobbed a laugh as she wiped her tears and stared up at him through blurry eyes, "I love you too...Kaito Kuroba."

That night, Lady Fate smiled down upon a detective and a thief who no longer feared what the future might hold for them. Instead, two hearts became one as they made a promise that would last longer than a lifetime. A promise of never-ending love.