The Girl with Scarlet Wrists

Prologue

Larissa

Before we start lets get straigt to the point. I'm not going to grip about how God has never cut me a break, no one has ever given me some slack. I may have, in some way, deserved what I got by my behavior, but it's not entirely my fault. 

Life deals the cards and you have to live with it. 

In my case I got the hammer. 

***************************

I woke up to Camille shaking my arm 

I rubbed my eyes sleepily and swung out of my bed. I shared a room with 5 other girls and like every morning, the bathroom was crowded. 

I collected my toothbrush and toiletries and snuck down the hall into the staff bathroom, which was empty as usual. I slipped into the room relaxing after I heard the safe click of the lock. 

I brushed my teeth, and combed through the snarls in my hair. I just noticed how long my hair actually is. I searched through the cabinets under the sink to find some scissors, and to no such luck. Well duh Layla they're not just going to leave scissors laying around a orphanage. Sometimes I'm definitely not the brightest bulb in the closet. 

I looked around the bathroom some more, in the drawers and...- Jackpot! I found some rusty first aid scissors. This will have to do.

I measured my waist length hair evenly before snipping it. 

Snip snip snip

Tufts of blackish brown hair fell into the sink as I cut away the hair. 

Each tuft of fallen hair felt like years taken off my life, each representing a different part of me vanishing. 

When I was done I put the scissors down and looked at the finished product. I didn't take too much off to avoid suspicion.

It was evenly cut and stopped a little ways past my shoulders. I washed the hair down the sink and placed the scissors back in the drawer. 

As I was about to exit I heard unmistakable clobbering foot steps down the hallway. 

Crap.

Excuses, excuses, I got lost? Oh who am I kidding their not that stupid.

Come on Layla think quick!

I opened the linen closet and squished my self into the bottom covering my self old tattered and... ugh musty towels. I stuck my arm out just enough to close the door as Miss Crabby Abby, a large stocky woman without a soul comes in.

I tried desperately to control my breathing, I spied on her through the crack in the old wood, she inspected her hair and looked around the bathroom for something. My breath caught when she stopped short finding a small tuft of hair on the side of the sink. 

Oh i'm so dead. 

I prayed silently watching her reactions as she inspected the hair. 

"Disgusting" She shook her head and flushed it down the sink. 

I let out a silent breath and waited for her to finish with the bathroom. Even after she left I gave it a few minutes to make sure and then dashed out down the hall to the mess hall.

I was right in time for line up luckily, or else I would be getting the cold left over portions for breakfast. 

I found Camille my best friend in the line and slipped in next to her.

"Using the staff bathroom again?" She giggled in my ear.

I laughed while grabbing my tray of food, "Of course or I would be here in my pajamas still." 

She made a face at my hair gesturing slightly towards its new length. "Did they make you cut it?" She asked baffled.

"No I did my self, I figured it was time for something new, especially since Director Mona said my adoption interview should be coming up soon."

"Oh" Camille nodded with a smile, but it wasn't one that reached her eyes, I could tell that she wanted so bad to get out of this place. 

We sat at our usual table trying to ignore Jared who kept throwing raisins at the back of my head.

Camille says he bothers me because he likes me but I think he's just an ass.

We ate our breakfast in silence, at least the food was decent here. Sometimes.

After breakfast we went back to clean our dorms as usual when Director Mona stopped me in the hallway. She pulled me aside from the group to tell me about my adoption date and what not.

"The adoption date is in two days. Congratulations." She smiled with fake sincerity.

"Thanks" I said returning to my room, I packed some of my things up while leaving the rest alone trying to determine in my head how long it would take this time until I would be given up for adoption.

I sighed laying down on my bed and slipping into a dreamless sleep.

 Vote/ Comment/ Fan. Thanks for reading Jaynet Stewart.

Also if you like Sy-Fy/Action/Romance stories please check out my new novel Going Rouge. I promise there's a little something for everyone in there.