XIV

He lowered his head a little to the side.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎I'm sorry, Elmira. There's no other way,❞ he said.

I, on the other hand, slapped my hands on his desk.

He looked up from his paper and took in the sight of me and him facing each other.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎I think I'm doing you a favor. I'll take your silence as a yes,❞ he said.

This man. He has a lot of psychological tricks up his sleeve.

I could feel my face warming up, and I'm sure he could feel my eyes flashing.

Elmira: ❝‎‎Well, actually,❞ I said as I plopped down in my chair. ❝‎‎I had a question for you. I was wondering if you had deliberately confused the documents with mine before going on vacation.❞

His brows furrowed.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎What are you talking about? Why?❞

He looked at me skeptically, but I launched into an explanation as quickly as I could.

I told him what I saw in his room, and the hesitation he gave when I mentioned it.

It was almost like he didn't want to answer me, like he was trying to protect himself or something.

I mean, why would he tell me if he wasn't sure? I finally finished.

He shook his head.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎I have no idea.❞

It doesn't sound real.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎You did see something, but nothing that you can explain. Some things you just have to believe in, and this isn't one of those things.❞

I couldn't believe what he was saying.

I looked around the corner and saw the sympathetic expressions from my colleagues, especially Hojun. His satisfying grin, i want to smack this smile out of his face. I felt more hopeless.

They all believed him.

I glanced back at him, angry that he would deny what I saw, but realizing that he had every right to do so.

Elmira: ❝‎‎I have the right to know.❞ I said, glaring at him. ❝‎‎You have no right to use me in that way,❞ I turned before leaving the room.

Mr. Ang: ❝‎‎No, you have no right,❞ he said, still in that quiet voice.

I tramped out of the room until I entered my office.

I closed the door, sat on my stool and began pulling a few files out of the drawer, dropping them on the floor.

The floor was littered with papers. I spread them. They were carefully placed into piles of Appointmens Applications. I looked through them and separated them.

I really didn't have much time and knew I had to do it quickly.

Therefore, I carefully and rapidly reviewed each application. Some of the applications were brand-new, while others had been modified. Some were handed over to powerful and well-liked individuals. After opening each one and reading it through, only one stood out. It was the one that was ahead of time and in state and had the money for all the work. The application was the one that no one had on their list. I was running out of time on that application. It was the one who had all of the jobs but no pressure or anything.

It was that moment that I realized that this was exactly why I was here. To be able to work with others, share ideas, figure out what to do next. To find the little special team that worked for one common goal and helped others succeed. To create a new legacy for yourself and one that would stay with you for all your future work.