XXIV

As Hyunjin and I were departing, I felt something beneath my feet. I glanced downward and spotted the object, bringing it closer for inspection.

Elmira: ❝‎‎What is this❞ I questioned.

Hyunjin: ❝‎‎It appears to be a necklace with an unusual crescent moon design,❞ he responded as he peered beside me.

I examined the necklace more carefully.

What? I queried as my fingers traced the middle of the crescent.

Elmira: ❝‎‎Hyunjin look! It looks like a gemstone,❞ I declared, glancing back at him.

He made his way over.

Hyunjin: ❝‎‎It seemed to be fate that this chain was here.❞

Elmira: ❝‎‎Yeah, time to get out of here before we get roasted,❞ I suggested.

He nodded in agreement and we left.

We made it to the spot and there was no sign of our friend. All of a sudden she put her arm up and waved at us. We darted over to her and Hyunjin gave her a friendly slap on the shoulder.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎What was that for?❞ , she asked rubbing the sore spot.

Hyunjin: ❝‎‎I wouldn't have asked you to cancel it if I knew you were going to set the circus on fire,❞ he said.

Yeiji avoided eye contact and played with her hands.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎I had no other option, although I agree it was a bad idea,❞ she replied.

Elmira: ❝‎‎It's too late to take action. The situation is irreversible,❞ I stepped in.

Hyunjin: ❝‎‎If something went wrong, we would be in trouble, but fortunately, the majority is safe, so you are lucky,❞ he stated.

After thinking a moment, Yeiji started looking around.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎Where are the two of them and Elmira? Where is Nala?❞

Hyunjin and I looked at each other.

Elmira: ❝‎‎Right. Where is she?❞ I asked in panic.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎Yo stupid, didn't i asked you to look out for her while i was gone?❞ , she interfered.

He absentmindedly scratched his ear, pondering the situation.

Hyunjin: ❝‎‎I had her with me the entire time,❞ he tried to explain.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎Oh, right,❞ Yeiji replied. ❝‎‎Then why she's not here then?❞

Without Nala, my life would be completely shattered. Yeiji gazed at me with compassion.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎Don't worry, Elmira, everything will be okay❞, she said, trying to cheer me up.

❝‎‎Hyunjin is not one to overlook details; in fact.❞

Her gaze and raised brow conveyed her surprise when he glanced away.

Elmira: ❝‎‎No worries, I'll track her,❞ and bit the inside of my cheeks.

The three of us pivoted and witnessed the obliteration of the carnival.Those who had fled were also able to observe the destruction. I couldn't help but reflect on the discussion I had with the young chap. What exactly did he imply?Have I overlooked any vital details?

It's not my place to pass judgment on these people based on their outward appearance; perhaps they're not as bad as they seem.Then again, maybe they are? The uncertainty has left me feeling uncomfortable.