XXIII

Yeiji swiveled her head warily, morphing her features into a dull mask.

???: ❝‎‎Interesting, so you wanted to set the circus ablaze,❞ he advanced nearer.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎What do you want Park Sunghoon?❞

Her voice was sharp and irritated. He shuffled his feet, rubbing the back of his neck.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎Nah, nothin' much,❞ he said. ❝‎‎Just curious what my old friend is up to.❞

She scoffed.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎I see you've been keeping an eye on me, but the joke's on you - I've kept an eye on you and your coworkers too,❞ she laughed historically.

She found the situation amusing, and the fact that they had both been keeping an eye on each other and their co-workers.

Sunghoon stared at her, curious about her sudden laughter.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎What's so humorous?❞ , he queried.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎Hmm you see, It's a strange coincidence that we collided again after a long time,❞ she remarked, studying him with a scrutinizing look.

❝‎‎It's like you never did what you did to me.❞

They were both soaked from the rain, and she was boiling with anger. His mere presence drove her up the wall. She should have put a stop to it then, but now he had become a destructive force. His ideals had become twisted and unrecognizable. She had no idea what else had occurred in the intervening years, but she'd have to find out.

He seemed innocuous until his true colors were revealed. Yeiji, you shouldn't have been so open. As a result of his actions, she had to bid goodbye to many of her acquaintances. The mere idea of it made her shudder.

It was a double-edged sword for her during her high school years. She made lifelong friends and cherished memories, yet he arrived and changed all of that forever.

She hadn't anticipated his return, but regardless of the circumstances she can't flee from him as she once did.

The tiniest hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his lips, causing her to wonder what he was thinking. Still, his face soon returned to its flat, emotionless state.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎What offense have I committed that requires an immediate explanation?❞

The last of her tolerance shattered during these sentences. Yeiji stepped up to him and delivered a sharp strike to his face. She did not regret it a bit, on the contrary. It did her good.

Yeiji: ❝‎‎You ass! How can you go on without a single twinge of remorse, as if you had done nothing wrong?!❞ She shouted in disbelief. Her eyes began to well up, and she fought to keep from sobbing in front of him, yet it was a futile struggle.

He gently turned to her, his palm pressed against his face.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎Would an apology matter? Would it make any difference?❞

Yeiji: ❝‎‎No changes, yet I thought you should realize I can think of tactics to take on you and your group that you'd never imagine,❞ she declared.

Sunghoon sighed, feeling listless.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎Can you really outdo me? You look so fragile and slim. I doubt it,❞ he commented.

Yeiji braced herself for another hit, yet it was deterred by his grip.

Sunghoon: ❝‎‎Do not tempt me or else you'll see a side of me you won't like.❞