26 || Borderline

make sure you vote and comment!! sorry for the late update. i've been dying over finals. 
----

My entire family is staring at me, wide-eyed, when I show up to the kitchen early morning with my backpack. "You-" My mom struggles.

"Yeah. I'll drive myself if you don't mind."

"No... no, of course not," My dad smiles. I can tell he's happy, but his brows are slightly furrowed, which means he's worried too. Obviously.

"Well, then, bye," I nod them goodbye and walk out of my house confidently. As soon I step out, though, all my confidence melts away, and I want to run back inside into the comfort of my home. But I meant what I told Angel a while ago. I'm going to school.

I don't tell anyone that I'm showing up. I want them to be surprised. Especially Angel. I can't wait to see him in school today.

I get into my car and don't give myself time to second guess myself. I drive straight towards it. It's surprising how my brain still remembers the way to school as if I went there yesterday. Then again, my brain remembers many things as if they were yesterday. Sometimes, it remembers the memories as if they were happening again.

Yet I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

I turn up the music until I feel like I'm going to go deaf. I spent almost five whole days trying to convince myself that I was ready to go to school. After the night Angel showed up at two in the morning, I thought about if I really wanted to go back to school.

I thought of all the good things that can happen in school. Holding Angel's hand and all the jealous stares we would get. Hanging out with my friends during lunch. I tried not to think of all the bad things. And somehow, I convinced myself to go to school. Angel was a huge factor.

As I make the final turn into the senior parking lot, my body starts to heat up slightly. I pull into my parking spot, determined to make it through the day. I grab my backpack and get out of the car as if I know exactly where I'm going and what I'm doing. I march through the front door and straight to Ashley's first class, which I know is English.

She's the first person I want to surprise.

I try not to notice how many people are staring at me. Some with concern, and others with some sort of strange look I can't put my finger on. Hatred? Annoyed? I don't pay attention to it as I walk into the classroom. It's relatively empty, with a few students here and there.

I notice Ashley at a corner desk, reading a book. It's another tragic romance. Her favorite kind of novels. She loves them but ends up bawling her eyes out and texting me some deep poetic shit about how love doesn't have to last forever for it to be meaningful.

I don't believe that. Eventually, love that didn't last fades away. Your life will carry on as if that love never existed. As if several years ago, your heart didn't crumble to dust as you broke away from that love.

I walk up to her desk and stand next to her, waiting for her to notice me. It takes her a while for her to look up from her book, but when she sees me, she doesn't even bother putting the bookmark in her book. She just shuts it close and tackles me in a hug.

"Ah!" She squeals. "Oh my God, I'm so happy you're here. Bitch, I've missed you!"

"I've missed you too," I hug her back, melting slightly in the warmth of her embrace. I needed this. "I have to go to class. Can you walk me?"

"Duh. You don't have to ask twice. Do you wanna walk past Angel's first class while we're at it?"

"You know what Angel's first class is?"