35 || Lawyer

make sure you vote and comment <3 
-----

I wasn't able to sleep at all last night, but at least it was the weekend. I was overwhelmed with guilt and sorrow for Harley; it was all I could think about. At least I had a therapy session today where I could maybe ease my guilt or find an outlet for it. I was warming up to therapy lately. It was helping me. So I've decided to be more open about it. I can't look at it as a solution to all my problems, but it was a start.

It was a little ironic. When I left to find Harley that day, I was supposed to clear everything up and start fresh with Angel. But I can't. I won't tell Harley anything until he's feeling better. He deserved at least that much from me.

It was seven in the morning, and I went downstairs to make some coffee. When I got to the kitchen, I saw my parents sitting at the dining table, having a serious discussion. "We can't keep her out of this forever. The judge set a trial date. She has to go to court. That's the only way he'll get arrested," My dad argues.

"I know... I know, but she's still struggling. I don't want to imagine what the trial is going to do to her. Having to face that asshole. Talk about the incident." I felt my skin start to crawl at the mention of it. I rubbed the side of my arm but continued to listen.

"I just want our daughter to get justice. He was back at school. She had to see him walk freely through the doors of the same building he had committed a crime as if nothing had changed. I want him behind bars. And I'll make sure he stays there for a long time. That boy, Angel, he's a witness. There was DNA evidence of the attack. That's good enough. And we have her tell us what happened. We have proof that she's seeing a psychiatrist. We have practically everything we need. We need to tell her."

I bite my lip anxiously. Images of a trial passed through my mind. I would have to talk about it. I would probably have to see him too. I would have to relive every moment again. What if I had another panic attack like the one in school? But I would be prepared to see him. Would that make it less likely, then?

Don't say anything until they ask you. I shake away all my paranoid thoughts and walk into the kitchen as if I hadn't heard anything. "Good morning," I greeted. "What are you two doing early on a fine Saturday morning?"

"Your mom was getting ready for work, and I was just having a conversation. You just take your coffee and do your thing, don't mind us," Dad answered. He was better at covering things up than mom. He's a lawyer. She's a doctor. She has to stay honest, and he needs to find ways around the truth.

"Sweetie, I know early morning isn't the time..." My mom starts. "But the trial date is set for three weeks from now. Your dad and I are taking care of everything, and I know it's a big ask from you, but we need you to explain what happened in court."

"Okay," I reply, as nonchalantly as I can possibly be. "Sure." I don't give them a chance to reply before I head into the kitchen to brew my coffee. I had to pretend not to freak out over this. They already have so much stress; I can't give them more.

I took my coffee upstairs into my bedroom and left my parents to their time alone. Which they barely have because of their jobs. Not to mention their kids too. I fall back on my bed and start scrolling through my phone, taking small sips of my coffee.

Around ten minutes later, I got a message from Angel.

Angel:

7:20 am - good morning

I can't help the smile that appears on my face. I quickly text back.

Me:

7:21 am - good morning <3