36 || Another Universe

make sure you vote and comment! it's kind of a short chapter. 
---- 

"No, no. She's not our lawyer. She's Rivera's lawyer." A disgusting feeling fills me up as I mention his name. It's been two months since the incident, and it's not nearly enough time for me to forget. "She's... Is she..."

"She is. No wonder she's defending him," He huffs. "Do you have solid evidence?"

"What?"

"For the trial. Do you have solid evidence? Something that she can't twist up?" He asks, a low panic set in his tone.

"Uh- Uhm- There was his blood and skin cells under my nails... And a witness... Harley, can you stop asking me random questions? What the fuck?" I felt my fingernails dig into my arms, and my breathing started to struggle. I closed my eyes, taking a shaky but deep breath. I can't have another panic attack. It really feels like I might die from them.

"When's the trial?"

"I don't know the date...."

"She's going to create evidence. I've known her since I was born. She creates the most convincing evidence. She probably has fake evidence in her office right now," His words are rushed. I've never heard him sound so panicked before. And it wasn't even for himself. It was for me. I hated this feeling. It was killing me.

"So... what can any of us do?" I smiled dryly. "I can't help if this case is meant to be unjust." I glance at him, and he's lost in deep thought. I never realized how attractive he looks when he's serious. Shut up. You have a boyfriend. He stares at the ground for a little while until he looks up as if he came up with something. "Whatever you're thinking, don't do it," I warned. If I knew Harley enough by now, he was self-destructive. Whatever idea he had, it probably involved hurting himself. Emotionally, physically, or both.

He's stupid like that.

"You think I want to watch as a fucking pedophile walks around freely? Especially after hurting you?" The last part makes me crumble. Here he was. Wanting to help me despite the cost. And here I was. Leading him on, despite having my heart set on Angel.

"You don't owe me anything. Harley, don't."

He simply stares determinedly at me. He's not about to back down unless I tell him everything now. I take a deep breath, getting ready to push him away from me.

"Harley. The day I came over to your house after a long time... I wanted to end our sexual relationship. I wanted to tell you that I have a boyfriend now. I didn't expect you to want anything to do with me afterward. But then I couldn't bring myself to tell you... I'm really sorry."

"Madison. I know. You're with Angel Andino. He follows only you on Instagram. But I really respect that you were still there for me." He smiles. This time, it's genuine. As genuine as smiles can get. It's soft and kind. It's beautiful and melancholy. It was heartbreaking. "I'm doing this because I think... no... I know that I've fallen in love with you. So let me be in love. You don't have to reciprocate."

My face breaks at last. This is my third time crying in front of him. I'm so fucking pathetic. "I'm so fucking sorry, Harley. You deserve so much better than me. I've been so terrible to you."

There's a gentle silence before his strong arms wrap around me and pull me into his chest. "You haven't. Trust me."

"I'm so sorry. I owe you so much." My face was buried in his chest. I was already guilty of using him for sexual favors, but now I feel worse because he's the one comforting me after I was the one who hurt him. This was messed up. It shouldn't be this way. In another universe, I would still be asleep next to Harley. I want him too, but I want Angel more. Why can't I love them both? Why is life like this?

In another universe, maybe I never would have met Harley. I would have never had to break his heart. I was supposed to meet Angel and Harley in two separate universes. I could fall in love with each of them. But this one made me choose. And I chose. And it never hurt more.

"It's okay. We'll put him behind bars."

I nodded, closing my eyes shut and hugging him tighter. Rivera was going to prison. I was going to get justice.

— — —

The next couple of weeks were torturous. My therapist gave me all sorts of exercises to help me ease into reliving and reciting the incidents. First, I had to close my eyes and remember it. I had a panic attack. The next exercise was writing it all down and then burning it. I had a panic attack before I even got to burn it. She even prescribed me some medications to keep me calm before the trial. Angel was ready to give his testimony as the witness. He was there for me as well.

But the stress was eating me away, so I couldn't really be that lovey-dovey with him. And he respected that. I haven't even kissed him after that day on the rooftop. I hate myself for it, but my body feels too overstimulated to handle physical touch. I'm glad he hasn't sulked about it.

Above the stress of preparing myself to speak in court, the stress of Harley's reckless decision was overwhelming. I tried to convince him not to do it. That I didn't care if I didn't win. I read somewhere that people who are addicts need to avoid places that remind them of the drugs, or it will be really easy for them to relapse. If Harley goes back to the mansion, that is probably the very place where he got introduced to drugs... I don't want to imagine the worst.

He was planning on going there tonight. The stress was killing me.

Me:

7:12 pm - don't go tonight.

He doesn't reply to me.

The next text I get from him is at 9:18 pm.

Harley:

9:18 pm - good luck tomorrow.

At that moment, I realized that I owed this boy more than my entire life. 

-------

a/n: slkdfjsda;kfljsadfljsdflj. i love harley. come here bby, I'll love you. I'll give you the entire world. 

and i know i gave the spotlight to harley and madison, and angel just sort of went in the shadows, but we'll get him back dw. 

also, what did you think of harley? 

do you think madison should have told him? 

anyway, thank you so much for reading! it means the world! i love you all sooo much! <3