Mates

That night Iris was more than pleased with her new home. She couldn't stop smiling as she sat waiting patiently while Caspian prepared some rabbits for that night's feast.

"You seem especially happy today. I'm guessing the house is to your liking now?"

Iris's grin only grew bigger as she exclaimed,

"Yes, it finally feels like a home!"

Caspian felt his heart melt at how cute Iris looked when she was happy. If it could make her this happy, he would gladly do anything for her.

"Our home is certainly the nicest I've ever seen. The best in this entire mountain. Careful, or you might make the other females jealous."

Caspian had a twinkle in his eye as he said this last part, teasing his cute female. While Iris would normally be worried about such things, this time she instead felt inspired.

In the modern world, Iris was used to constantly having things to do. If it wasn't her college studies, it was her part-time job at the local museum. She'd often help with historical reenactments, fundraising dinners, and special events that the museum director arranged too.

Even when Iris wasn't hard at work, entertainment sources were abundant. Whether it was hobbies like foraging, cooking, reading, television, browsing the internet, or hanging out with friends; there was seldom a lack of things to do.

This beast world, in comparison, was extremely dull. If it weren't for preparing her new home for the cold season, most of Iris's days would be empty. While some downtime for resting was always nice, Iris did not want to be bored. So when she was reminded of how different the lives the rest of the tribe led, she began to have ideas.

"Does the Arctic Wolf Tribe not have weekly markets like the beast cities?"

Caspian shook his head and heaved a sigh.

"That's right, I promised to take you to the beast city, but we missed the one last week due to how busy we've been preparing the house. Luckily, there is still the last market before the cold season begins, so we'll go tomorrow."

Iris blinked her eyes in surprise. She had almost forgotten that Caspian promised to take her last week. Still, going tomorrow was great too, as she did still need salt and was curious about what else they would be selling!

"Alright, that sounds good to me! However, I was just thinking that I could do some arts and crafts with extra crafting materials over the winter. Then we could trade with our fellow tribesmen and they could enjoy nice things too."

Caspian looked like he was surprised at his female's thinking. Usually, the males in a family do most of the labor and we're in charge of providing for the family. Females tended to not care about sharing the nice things they had with others, whether they would be traded fairly for or not.

"That isn't a bad idea, but you should teach me how to do these things. As your only male, it's my job to work harder to take good care of you."

Iris merely hummed, neither agreeing nor disagreeing. Caspian often tried to take over tasks from her, but she did not feel eager to give up what little entertainment she had. She did not wish to be reduced to a female who does nothing but wait in bed and be waited on hand and foot.

"Alright, well, these rabbits are ready to be cooked. Wait here while I go wash my hands and the pelts. I'll bring clean water for cooking back with me."

Iris merely waited for Caspian to be far enough away before taking the rabbit meat to the kitchen. She cut the rabbit into small cubes with a bone knife before skewering them onto some sticks. She then chopped some onion grass and garlic before putting it into a stone pestle with some mustard. Once it formed a paste, she rubbed it into the meat.