Food Competition

"I brought back some wild boar meat and some cattails I found nearby. I don't know if it'll be usable or not as it looks a bit greener than the ones we gathered last harvest season."

Caspian explained as he sat near Iris on the floor. Iris looked over the meat and plants Caspian brought back and found she was quite pleased with it. Some of the boar meat was fattier and would be perfect as a sort of bacon to wrap boar steaks in. The cattails didn't have pollen, but the root portion was actually at its best at this time of year. Iris smiled as she leaned back into Caspian's arms and kissed his chin.

"Thank you hubby, this is perfect!"

Despite wanting to show Iris his cooking skills, Basil let her decide which cuts of meat to use first. It was her mate who caught the food after all and it would be rude not to.

Iris quickly pulled out a bone knife and spices from her bag to prepare the meat. When she was done cutting the meat she wanted, she handed the rest to Basil. The plan was to partially cook the bacon while it was in long strips then wrap it around the partially cooked and seasoned steaks. This way everything would be able to cook more evenly.

As there was only a spit to roast meat on, Iris had Caspian fetch her a flat stone she could place beside the fire to cook on. It would have to be rotated as necessary in order to ensure all sides of the food were roasted evenly. Unfortunately this hearth was not nearly as convenient as the stone oven and stove Iris had at home.

Basil took the meat that was leftover and cut half of it into small cubes and left the rest whole. The larger pieces of meat were seasoned with salt and then wrapped in umai leaves before being skewered and placed over the fire. Meanwhile, the smaller cubes of meat would be placed in a clay pot with some salt, ginger, garlic, and chilis. The clay pot could easily be placed next to the fire and it would slowly come to a boil.

"So, how are we supposed to decide the winner of our little competition anyways?"

Iris looked curiously at Basil as she asked this. Basil was unbothered by such a matter as he had already gotten the chance to show off his cooking skills. Thus, he easily answered

"Surely we can decide this amongst ourselves. Such a beautiful female as yourself surely wouldn't lie about liking my food, right?"

Basil leaned in towards Iris, tickling her face as he softly ran his fingertips across her cheek. Iris felt the need to hide as she began to feel shy under his heated gaze. Thankfully Caspian came to her rescue as he answered for her

"Iris wouldn't lie about something so petty. If it comes down to it I will try both foods and make the decision."

Caspian rolled his eyes as he said the last part. He may dote on Iris but he found this vixen and his silly games exhausting. Surely there were better ways to pursue Iris than making her squirm as she blushed embarrassedly?

Basil briefly glanced up at Caspian before turning away. The male might not have beaten him half to death yet, but he clearly did not like Basil making his female uncomfortable.

Iris was quiet as she concentrated on carefully cooking her food. Basil found the sight of her heated face as she tended the fire cute. He watched as sweat slowly rolled down her chest before disappearing into her cleavage. He felt himself begin to grow hard as he stared at it for a moment too long.

Thankfully, Iris didn't notice his discomfort. Basil decided it might be best to just tend to his food and give them both a moment to relax. He told himself there would be plenty of time to flirt later, he could take his time.

When the food was done, Basil fetched some small stone bowls and water resistant leaves. He did not actually keep proper dishware in his home. He only had bowls for holding medicine and these leaves were the closest thing to a plate he had.