White Lies

[System 316: The rainy season is here! With warmer weather comes the opportunity to find new mates. Please accomplish the following: participate in the beauty pageant at the nearest beast city, gain one-hundred or more new admirers, and accept two or more new mates.]

[Time Limit: Three Days]

[Reward: 10,000 system points]

[Penalty: Fall into a coma for one week]

Iris groaned as she nearly rolled out of bed. After three months of not hearing from the system, she had finally received a new quest. Iris's expression quickly soured as she read over the notifications.

When Caspian came into the bedroom with some hot soup, he was surprised to see Iris was already awake. He would have assumed she was merely excited like many other females were due to the beauty pageant that was happening today. However, as he took in her bitter expression, he questioned

"What's wrong, did you have a nightmare?"

Iris shook her head indicating that was not the case. Caspian sat down beside Iris on the bed and held her hand as he patiently awaited an explanation. Iris sighed before saying

"I just received a new task and this time it includes a penalty if it isn't completed within three days."

Caspian's expression soon fell as he began to worry for his little mate. He cautiously asked

"What is the task? Whatever it is, I'll help you complete it right away. I don't want you to suffer and we can always wait until next year to join the beauty pageant."

Iris shook her head as she gave a bitter laugh.

"No, that's just it. The task requires me to attend the beauty pageant where I am expected to gain the attention of ten tens of beastmen and then accept two new mates. Apparently, I only have three days to mate with them as well or else I will fall into a coma for a week."

Caspian blinked confusedly at Iris. His lips dipped into a frown as he began to think it over. Most females wouldn't have an issue with taking in new mates and that was the entire point of going to the beast city today anyways. As for gaining admirers, Caspian had no doubt that his mate's beauty would easily capture the hearts of many with ease.

"Perhaps the Beast Deity thinks that I am unable to protect you on my own and wishes to encourage you to surround yourself with more males to keep you safe? I wouldn't worry so much about this task. You will easily have your pick of males at the festival and you still get to choose who you want and don't want as a mate."

Iris nodded solemnly, she knew Caspian was right. It was more that Iris did not like to be forced than that she did not want more mates anyways. Iris tried to psych herself up as she ate some soup.

"I'd like you to crush some red clovers in the mortar and pestle before mixing it in a small bowl with soap and salt for me. I want to take a bath in the river and freshen up properly before we go today. If I am to attract the best males, I will need to look my best."

Caspian smiled dotingly at Iris, happy to see her mood lifting. He quickly did as she said, carefully crushing the flower petals before infusing it with salt and the lye soap. When he was done he handed the small bowl to his mate before carrying her up to carry her to the river.

Today was a nice warm sunny day with the sound of birds chirping and Iris found it quite peaceful. When they got to the river, Iris quickly stripped out of her old dress and tentatively tested the water temperature with her toes. Feeling that the river was at a comfortable temperature that was only slightly cold, she slowly climbed in.

Caspian took his mate's dirty clothes and began to scrub their clothes in the river before hanging them on a nearby tree. He then climbed in alongside his mate, taking the bowl of soap.