System Shop

[System 316: Congratulations on unlocking tier one of the system shop!]

[Open shop menu?]

Iris was excited and couldn't wait to see what exciting goods would be in the shop. However, after opening the shop menu, she felt confused.

[Tier One System Shop

Beauty Serum I

(1x Purchase) 1,000 points

Simple Beast Continent Map

(1x Purchase) 500 points

"Ancient Agriculture" Book

(1x Purchase) 750 points

Potato Seeds 10 points

Carrot Seeds 10 points

Onion Seeds 10 points

Spinach Seeds 20 points

Sweet Pea Seeds 20 points

Apple Tree Saplings 50 points

Orange Tree Saplings 50 points]

It seems most of the shop contained seeds for farming while the rest were one-time purchase items. The map and book on agriculture looked useful, but the first listed item certainly caught Iris off guard.

"Stupid system, what is this nonsense? Are you trying to sell me overpriced beauty products now?"

As the system had never reacted to Iris before, she did not expect it to respond. Thus, she nearly fell on her butt. She was extremely shocked when the system responded.

[All products in the system shop are real and useful products. As a female in the beast world, beauty equates to strength. The prettier you are, the more easily you will be able to convince others to protect you and provide for you.]

After getting over her initial shock, Iris rolled her eyes with a "Whatever." She was really getting sick of being told that she should be more dependent on men, and yet she knew it would only be the beginning. The more mates she gained in the future, the more she'd be expected to leave everything to them.

"Fine, but what is the deal with the points? Also, farming is great and all, but why would I go through months of labor to grow potatoes and carrots when they grow in the nearby forest?"

Still offering impeccable customer service, the system explained.

[Points can be obtained via the completion of system quests or exchanging crystals from the beast world for them. Points can also be exchanged for crystals. This includes converting colored crystals into the equivalent value in uncolored crystals. The values are as follows:]

[Uncolored (None) 100 Points

Green (Earth) 200 Points

Dark Blue (Water) 300 points

Yellow (Wind) 500 points

Light Blue (Ice) 800 points

Red (Fire) 1,000 points

Black (Dark) 2,000 points

Gold (Light) 2,500 points]

[All shop plant seeds are guaranteed to grow in any season within a month, so long as the growing environment meets the following criteria: sufficient water, sufficient sunlight, planted in dirt, there is no snow or frost on the ground.

All shop saplings will require a full month to grow and then will provide a harvest once a month so long as the same criteria as crops is met. Furthermore, during the cold seasons when frost or snow is present, the mature trees will merely go into hibernation until the rainy season begins.

Do be aware, however, that immature plants and Saplings will die from exposure to cold for extended periods of time and wither and die if not supplied with sufficient water and sunlight.]

Iris was impressed by the things the system was telling her. Seeds that could produce a ready-to-harvest crop in a single month would allow her to harvest nine batches of crops a year. That would make it easy to provide food for many beastmen with relatively little effort.

Of course, it was far too late in the year for any crops to be started now. They'd have to wait a couple of months before it would even be a possibility. Even then, they'd likely have to fight tooth and nail with tribe leader James to get permission to farm. Iris could feel a headache coming on as she thought about it.

Just then, Caspian came out of the kitchen and sat on the couch beside Iris, placing her feet in his lap and rubbing them.

"You look concerned little mate, are you okay?"

Iris sighed. It wasn't even like she had any real justification to be so negative and stressed. It had technically been a very good day today. She had made friends, completed her quest, and unlocked the system shop! Thus, she forced a smile on her face as she assured Caspian

"I'm okay. In fact, I have good news! That task for collecting food was finally completed."

Caspian looked relieved to hear this. As a beastman, he was especially sensitive to the changes in weather. He knew it would snow any day now and they would be unable to do anything more than they had.

"What sort of reward did you get for your efforts this time?"

Caspian looked so excited that Iris did not want to let him down. She quickly pulled out the last three blue ice crystals and quickly exchanged them for shop points. She then showed Caspian the map, book, and stone container filled with the beauty serum.

"Well, this one looks like your other animal skin book. I'm not sure what the drawing on this is and I don't get what the deal is with this liquid."

Iris laughed at Caspian's confused face. He still looked excited, but the strange half-smiling, half-incredulous look was quite amusing to look upon. Iris quickly explained.

"Well, this book is about farming, rather than being a more generalized book about plants found in the wild. This is called a map. It doesn't really seem to have much on it. Just some general information on where rivers, mountains, forests, etcetera are. It's not super helpful, but I might find a use for it eventually. As for this... it's embarrassing to say, but it's a beauty serum."

Caspian nodded seriously as he listened to Iris explain. As far as he knew, her tasks were from The Beast Deity. Therefore, any rewards given should be cherished as a treasure. Thus, Caspian immediately ran off to make Iris a cup of mint tea with honey. If she was to drink the strange liquid, then he should prepare a palette cleanser in case it tasted too bitter.

When he returned with the cup of tea, he quickly urged Iris to drink them both. Iris sighed, not really wanting to drink some sham of a tonic, but not wanting to disappoint Caspian either. Swallowing her pride, Iris quickly downed it.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Can't wait to read more? Check out my Patreon! For $5 / month you can get full access to my works including early access to the newest chapters, ad-free reading of previously posted chapters, author's notes, full PDF copies of volumes, and more!

A special thanks to those who have subscribed thus far. Thanks to them I have been motivated to edit my previous chapters and to continue to write this series at a rather brisk pace of five chapters a week. On the Patreon, we are already a third of the way through the fourth volume! Since there is only meant to be five volumes to this series, that means we should be done in another eight months. Of course, the release schedule is much slower here on Wattpad, so it will likely be another two years for you all, but it should be reassuring that this series will be finished soon enough and you'll be guaranteed a proper ending. So, please give it up for the following cub and beast tier members!

Cubs: Ryanna B.

Beasts: GeminiDragon, Kelly, Ann, Shaunna H., Jenn L., Reyanne B., Chong Y., Care, Rochelle N., Argon, Courtney H., Parul N., Shawna B., Dreamer, Izzzy B., Cindy S.

patreon.com/AutumnPlunkett