New Friend

The next morning, Iris was happy to see that her period was finally over. She happily changed into her floor-length dress and got ready while Caspian finished the soup she did not. Then they promptly headed to the mountain entrance where they were surprised to see a few new faces joining the bunch.

Iris's eyes lit up when she even found a female among them. She appeared to have cute red and white pointed ears on top of her head and a bushy red tail behind her. When the female saw Iris, her eyes lit up and she pushed her way through the three males surrounding her.

This female was a bit shorter than Iris as well as a bit more rounded. Her eyes were a brilliant green with long red hair that came down to her waist that was very tangled. However, despite her messy appearance, she looked quite cute. Iris felt the urge to hug this female and become friends with her.

However, despite the female pushing herself in front of Iris, she looked quite nervous. She bowed her head to Iris as she said.

"Hello, my name is Holly and these are my mates. We.... um... we're hoping we could join you in gathering plants today."

Iris was unsure why Holly was so nervous and wasn't looking at her. Admittedly, this was the first beast woman Iris had met properly since transmigrating. Perhaps all females in this world were timid like this? She truly had no way of knowing.

"Hi, it's lovely to meet you! I like your tail, it's a very pretty color."

Iris immediately felt stupid. There goes her chance at friendship! However, Holly just blushed and looked bashful. Caspian, finally understanding Iris's confusion, quickly whispered to Iris.

"She is a half-orc and a red panda. She is just nervous because half-orc females are looked down upon due to having lower birth rates than wild females. Don't worry, she'll warm up to you before long with how sweet you are."

Caspian leaned in and kissed Iris, leaving her a bit unfocused afterward. Holly, trying to officially get permission to join them, quietly asked.

"Sorry, but is it okay for us to join you? I promise we will stay out of your way and we will work hard to earn our fair share."

Iris couldn't help but smile at Holly, she was really too cute. The way her ears were flattened against her head and her tail was tucked behind her, you could just tell she was terrified. Iris quickly grabbed Holly and pulled her into a hug.

"Of course it's alright! I'd love the company and I think we can even become good friends if you are willing!"

Holly looked confused at this as she questioned.

"Friends? What's that?"

Iris struggled to properly explain what a friend was.

"Er, well, it's someone you hang out with and talk with. It's like having a new family member but you get to choose who you foster such a bond with."

Holly looked excited at the prospect of having someone to hang out with and, while Iris was strange, she was actually nice to Holly!

"I'd love to be friends with you!"

Holly's answer concerned her mates as they all wore aggrieved expressions. Were they not enough company for their mate? Surely they would not have to compete with females for their mate's attention now too?

However, the two females remained oblivious to their concerns. Iris was happy to see Quentin and the others had shown up to help again today as promised. She made a mental note to be sure to do something to thank them later.

Caspian once again carried Iris through the forest as the others followed behind them. They immediately returned to the potato and watercress field from the previous day. Iris proceeded to show Holly and her mates the watercress and potato plants and explain how to prepare them. Upon hearing about needing to cook the potatoes, Holly's mates were set on edge. Holly took the initiative to voice their concerns.