Ahkmenrah x Male!Redhead!Reader: Watch This!

"Well, based on what you've told me, and taking a look at your resume, I think you'd be a great fit here." Mr. McPhee said to you from across his desk. "If you're interested, of course."

"Definitely!" You assured him. "I can start right away."

"Wonderful." Mr. McPhee stood up and you did the same, shaking his hand. "Do you have any questions for me?"

"Actually, I do have one." You said sheepishly. "Don't take this the wrong way, but is there a particular reason the salary is so high?" Mr. McPhee laughed.

"No offense taken, and I'm sure you'll find out on your first night." He told you. "You'll start tonight. You'll be replacing Larry, but he'll be here tonight to help you learn the ropes and gets settled.

...

"So did McPhee tell you what nights are gonna be like?" Larry asked you as you both made your way up the steps to the museum.

"No, and it's starting to concern me how much everyone is warning me."

"You'll be fine." Larry assured you. "Also the dress code isn't really a thing here. You don't have to wear the hat."

"Oh thank God," You said, taking off the hat and brushing a hand over your red hair and shoving the hat in your pocket. "I looked like a dweeb." Larry chuckled.

"Yeah, that was my reaction too." He inserted a key into the lock. "Alright, you ready for this?"

"Am I ready watch a bunch of statues overnight? Yeah I think I'll be—" Larry turned the key and opened the door, your words catching in your throat as you took in the scene in front of you. "...Fine." You gave Larry an incredulous look. He just shrugged.

"Come on, it'll take forever to get through introductions. Teddy!" He waved to someone behind you, and you heard the clip-clopping of a horse's hooves approach. You turned around to see a man sitting astride a brown horse. He tipped his hat to you.

"Theodore Roosevelt, at your service."

"Uh, Y/N." You said dumbly, your brain still struggling to process the fact you were currently speaking with the 26th president of the United States.

"Tonight is just gonna be about introducing you to everyone. If this is gonna work out it's important that you get along." Teddy's gonna be your tour guide while I hold down the fort." Larry told you. "Close your mouth kid, you're catching flies."

"Leave the boy alone, Lawrence, he's handling it far better than you did on your first day."

...

"...So you're telling me you never thought to ask any follow up questions to why your salary would be so high?" Larry asked after the initial shock had worn off and you had returned from your tour.

"Look. I was just happy to get the job, I figured it was just a typo!" You protested. Larry laughed and clapped a hand on your shoulder. "What was your excuse?" You shot back. Larry sputtered and Teddy chuckled.

"I like him." Teddy said. You grinned. After the shock had worn off, you had been quick to realize that the man behind the legend was just a man. And a very kind one at that.

"There you are!" A new voice piped up. "I have been looking everywhere for you, Larry! I want to meet the new night guard!" You turned around to see a very attractive man dressed like a Pharaoh walking towards the three of you.

Well, scratch that. People here weren't dressing like historical figures, they were historical figures. "I was wondering where you were hiding." Larry said. "Ahkmenrah, I'd like you to meet Y/N, this is his first night. Y/N, Ahkmenrah." You held out your hand to shake, realizing too late that Ahkmenrah probably didn't know what a handshake was. Or did he? Did the other exhibits teach him? Were there handshakes in Ancient Egypt? You were so focused on trying to figure this out you didn't notice how focused Ahkmenrah was on you.

Specifically your head.

More specifically, your hair.

"Can I touch you hair?" Ahkmenrah blurted out. You blinked in surprise.

"Oh! Uh, sure?" You shrugged and leaned your head in. Ahkmenrah laughed awkwardly and placed his hand on your head. After a second, he began...petting you?" You didn't really know how to respond, so you were stuck there until Larry cleared his throat. Ahkmenrah jumped and pulled his hand back sheepishly.

"I'm sorry. I've just never seen hair like yours. How is it that color?" Ahkmenrah asked. You realized that Ahkmenrah probably had never seen red hair before.

"I was born with it," You explained.

"It just grows like that?!" You nodded, smiling at the Pharaoh's excitement. "That's amazing!" Despite having just met, he grabbed your hand and dragged you off. For the next thirty minutes, you were paraded around to as many exhibits Ahkmenrah could find so he could inform them that your hair was naturally red.

You didn't have the heart to tell him you'd already met everyone he found.

You would've thought his excitement would've worn off after that first night, but Ahkmenrah never seemed to calm down.

If anything he just got more excited after each night. It was always "Y/N watch this!" and "Y/N, do you think I could beat Attila in a race?" and once it was "Y/N, Jedediah said I have better hair than you. Do you think it's too much if I flush him?" It wasn't until Teddy pulled you aside to talk that you realized that this wasn't Ahkmenrah's normal behavior.

"I dare say our friend is smitten with you, Y/N." You choked on your water.

"I'm sorry." You managed to sputter. "What?"

"Ahkmenrah." Teddy clarified, like you didn't know who we was referring to. "The poor boy is running himself ragged trying to impress you."

"But...why?" You asked. Teddy shrugged. "It's not for me to know. But a piece of advice." Teddy laid a hand on your shoulder. "It's probably best that the two of you sit down and have a conversation before Ahkmenrah breaks his neck."

"Y/N!" Speak of the devil. "Ahkmenrah came flying around the corner on... a skateboard? "I borrowed this from Nicky! Watch thi—Whoa!" Teddy quickly backed out of Ahkmenrah's path but it was too late for you. Before you even had a chance to move, you were knocked to the ground and had a Pharaoh sprawled out on top of you. "I'm so sorry!" Ahkmenrah managed to say after you had both recovered from the impact. It wasn't lost on you that he hadn't made a move to get up. "Are you okay?" The absurdity of the situation suddenly hit you. You were currently pinned to the floor by a Pharaoh from ancient times who had been skateboarding, while a former President was standing feet away. You couldn't help it. You burst out laughing. Ahkmenrah blinked as you continued to laugh, a slow smile stretching across his face. You didn't notice until you had managed to rein in your amusement.

"What?" You asked.

"You're so cute." He sighed. You blinked, and felt your cheeks grow warm. Ahkmenrah finally stood up. He offered you a hand. You took it and he helped you up. When you were standing, he didn't let go of your hand. "Would you like to go on a walk?" He asked. He suddenly seemed more relaxed, more... genuine.

"I'd like that," You said. "On one condition." Ahkmenrah's smile faltered. "Please no more stunts. My nerves can't take it." You pleaded. Ahkmenrah burst out laughing.

"You have my word."