Jedediah x Octavius: Change

"C'mon Jed, you gotta like someone!" Larry said as they took their break.

"Don't gotta do nothin'," Jedediah replied as he took a bite of his granola bar. Then he checked his watch. "Shit, I gotta go; I got a tour in five minutes." He stood up, brushed his musum uniform off and turned to go.

"Don't forget we have a staff meeting after closing!" Larry shouted after him.

"I won't mom!"

...

"That. Was. Horrible." Jedediah collapsed into the chair next to Larry.

"What happened?"

"School tour with teachers who couldn't care less."

"Don't envy you for that one."

"I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. So," Jedediah looked around at his coworkers. "Anyone know what this meeting is about?"

"New coworker." Sacagawea answered. Jedediah rolled his eyes.

"We need a meeting for that?"

"McPhee wants to make sure we all get along."

"We do!"

"Yes," Sacagawea said. "But we all started working here around the same time. Octavius is the first new employee in months."

"Octavius?" Jedediah laughed. "The hell kind of a name is that?!"

"I could ask you the same thing." A new voice replied. Jedediah went still. Sacagawea, Larry, Teddy, and Ahkmenrah were all looking behind him. Jedediah slowly turned around with a sheepish grin.

Whatever he expected Octavius to look like, he was wrong.

The sleeves of his uniform were rolled to his elbows, revealing tattoos covering both arms, and his hair was long on top but undercut on either side. It was a solid black, and he had a spiked septum piercing in his nose.

And he looked very unimpressed with Jedediah.

"This is Octavius, our new employee. He'll be doing tours in the miniatures hall." McPhee said at last, before exiting the awkward situation. Everyone else suddenly had very important things to attend to, and made speedy exits.

Leaving Octavius and Jedediah alone.

"Look, I wanted to apologize for...that," Jedediah said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I like to put my foot in my mouth."

"Clearly." Octavius said in a clipped tone.

"Okay, listen. We're going to be coworkers, not only in the same museum but the same area. If you're not going to forgive me, can we at least forget it and start fresh?"

"Only if you answer one question for me," Octavius said. Jedediah gulped

"The hell kind of a name is Jedediah?" Octavius smirked with a raised eyebrow. Jedediah blinked for a moment, before laughing.

I am so screwed.

...

It had been a little over a month since Octavius had come to work at the Museum of Natural History, and Jedediah was losing his mind. I mean, who could work with Octavius and not?