Seeing Double

Larry walked into his shift as the last guests were leaving. Dr. McPhee was waiting for him by the door. "Ah, there you are!"

"Evening, McPhee." Larry said as Dr. McPhee fell into step alongside him.

"Before I left, I wanted to let you know we have a new exhibit. It's still in the crate, but if you have time I'd like him set up in the Egyptian room." He gestured to the large crate next to the information desk. Larry nodded. "Perfect, I'll see you in the morning!"

"Night!" Larry locked the doors behind Dr. McPhee, and turned his attention to the large wooden crate. He reached for the crowbar sitting on the information desk. After a couple tries, the side of the crate fell away, and foam packing peanuts cascaded out. Larry just stared at the wax figure inside. It looked familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. The mannequin was draped in Egyptian robes, and had a pschent on his head. Larry looked for the shipping packet. "Who the hell is this supposed to be?" He scanned the document and let out an incredulous laugh at the description.

Ahkmenrah, Pharaoh of Egypt.

Larry looked between the paper and the wax figure.

"This should be interesting."

...

Not two hours later, the museum came to life.

And all hell broke loose.

"Who the hell are you?" Ahkmenrah demanded.

"Who the hell are you?" His wax clone echoed.

"Ahkmenrah, this is...Ahkmenrah." Larry introduced them. Both Ahkmenrahs stared at each other.

"I do not look like that," The real Ahkmenrah said at last.

"I beg your pardon?" The wax Ahkmenrah sputtered indignantly. "What makes you think you're more accurate than I?"

"I'm an actual person!"

"Well so am I!" The other exhibits had gathered around by now, and their heads swung back and forth between the two Pharaohs like they were watching a tennis match. Ahkmenrah reached across the information desk and grabbed a lighter. He lit it and held it towards the wax Ahkmenrah.

"Care to test that theory?"

"O-kay!" Larry stepped in between the arguing pair, snatching the lighter out of Ahkmenrah's hand. "Look. I know this is weird. But like or not, this is life now. And there's gonna be no fighting on my watch or you're getting put in time out. Am I clear?"

Both Ahkmenrah's nodded, sufficiently cowed. Larry nodded with satisfaction.

"Now shake hands." Larry ordered. After a second of hesitation both Pharaohs obeyed.

But of course, as soon as Larry's back was turned, they continued to sneer and make faces at each other.