We've Got Your Back

"No more arguing, Y/N. My decision is final." You silently begged your mother to intervene, but she kept her hands clasped together and her eyes trained on the floor.

"But father—" You pleaded.

"I said enough!" You took a startled step back. You steeled your nerves and glared at your father.

"As you wish," You bowed formally. "Father." He sighed.

"Y/N—" You turned on your heel and fled the room before he could say anything else, trying to keep your tears at bay. You were so focused on not crying you didn't even notice your brothers as you ran past. They shared a concerned glance before taking off after you. You ignored their cries for you to stop and ran into your chambers.

"Y/N," Ahkmenrah panted behind you. "What's wrong?"

"Did someone hurt you?" Kahmunrah demanded. "Give us their name!" You giggled quietly at your brother's protectiveness and wiped your eyes.

"No, no." You assured them. "It's not that."

"Then what's wrong?" Ahkmenrah asked.

"It's father," You admitted quietly. "He's arranged a marriage for me." Your brothers stiffened and tears began to trickle down your face again. "I knew it would happen one day, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon!" You felt your knees wobble, before Kahmunrah caught you and guided you to your bed. He sat down with you and Ahkmenrah sat on your other side.

"Hey hey hey," Ahkmenrah tried to calm you. "Don't worry about it, Y/N." He met his brother's gaze over your head. "We'll take care of everything." They nodded to each other.

...

You gracefully entered the banquet hall, flanked by your two brothers. Your mother smiled at you from where she sat at the head table. Your father didn't smile, but rather stood up and approached you. He hugged you stiffly as your brothers stepped around you and sat down at the table, leaving a space for you between them. Without a word, your father guided you to your seat. But before he sat down, he gave Ahkmenrah a hard look and flapped his hand. Ahkmenrah sighed and reluctantly moved one seat over, leaving the space to your right free. Then he motioned to someone behind you. "Y/N, I'd like you to meet Prince Tabari. Your fiancé," He added pointedly. You sucked in a tiny breath as your brothers stiffened. "I expect you all to be gracious hosts while he and his father are here." You nodded as a man sat down next to you, smiling at you cockily. You suppressed the urge to roll your eyes and smiled a tight-lipped smile in return.

"Princess Y/N," He purred with rancid breath that almost made you gag. "Your father has told me all about you. And may I say, his words do you no justice. You are far more beautiful than what he described." You smiled politely.

"Why thank you, Your Highness." You quipped, before turning to your brother and mouthing 'help me'.

"I must confess, I was quite displeased when I found out we were to be wed." You raised your eyebrows and tried to hide your excitement. If both of you didn't want to marry, then maybe there was a chance you wouldn't marry at all!

"After all, your kingdom is far smaller than mine, and to be honest, other than your outward appearance and your connections with the Northern kingdoms, I see no benefit to us marrying." You blinked in surprise. Was this guy for real? "But then I heard of your two brothers. If they were to marry as well, our kingdom could grow to be the largest in the world!" You laughed in disbelief.

"That's all this is to you? A power move?" He nodded, with a smirk that made you want to punch him.

"Well of course. I mean, you're beautiful, but do you think I would pick you if I had any other choice?" Before you knew what was happening, Kahmunrah had Tabari by the scruff of his neck and Ahkmenrah was standing in front of you protectively.

"I think it's time that you left," Ahkmenrah ground out as your father made his way over.

"What do you two think you're doing?" He asked with a false calmness in his voice. Your brothers didn't answer. Kahmunrah hauled Tabari out by the back of his neck while Ahkmenrah followed the pair. Merenkahre whirled on you. "What happened?" You shrugged innocently and sat back down. Your brothers returned a few moments later, with matching smirks on their faces.

'What did you do?' You mouthed to your brothers. Kahmunrah leaned over.

"Don't worry about it. But if anyone asks, we have no idea why—" He didn't get to finish, because a dripping-wet Tabari stormed into the banquet hall, mumbled something to his father and stormed back out again. His father said something to Merenkahre, smiled apologetically and followed his son out of the room. Merenkahre turned to the three of you, but you all avoided eye contact, staring at your plates with matching smirks as the festivities continued.