12. Chosen

'Your Grace.' The door opened and Avalon stepped in. She looked around, she loved the little flames, it always made it seem like the statue was ready to breath fire at any moment. 

"Hello Vis." Avalon said with the sweetest of smiles as she approached her brother.

''Avalon my dearest... you know that Balerion was the last living creature to have seen Old Valyria before the Doom. Its greatness and its flaws." Viserys remarked. 

"Oh yes, I love dragon history" Avalon agreed standing beside him. 

" When you look at the dragons, what do you see?' Viserys questioned as his fingers tranced along the monument.

'What?' Avalon questioned confused. "What do I see?"

'Answer me, please love. It's important.' Viserys assured touching her back. 'What do you see?' Viserys pushed

'I suppose I see us.' Avalon answered

'Tell me.' Viserys urged.

'Everyone says Targaryens are closer to gods than to men, but they say that because of our dragons. Without them, we're just like everyone else. But I dont think so... people think- because they are foolish and dont read their dragon history..." Viserys smiled brushing her hair from her face. "The idea that we control the dragons... is an illusion. They're a power man should never have trifled with. One that brought Valyria its doom.' Avalon told him.

'If we don't mind our own histories, it will do the same to us. Targaryen must understand this to be King... or Queen.' Viserys told her confidently.

"Thats right, history is important, you know it all." Avalon remarked. 

"Not all." Viserys corrected softly. 

"Sure, sure, but I remember when I was little, well I dont remember it but Daemon said he would try to take me flying and you would read me stories... always reading always learning... you are good King." Avalon declared and Viserys sighed hugging her. He was making the right choice. 

"My dearest Avalon.. You are the very best of our mother. I see it in you every day. She would be so proud of you, as I am." Viserys remarked. 

'Thank you Viserys." Avalon coed kissing his cheek. 

"And I believe this... I believe it completely... I know mother would have too, that you could be a great ruling queen.'' Viserys declared and Avalon blinked back at him. 

'Daemon is your heir. Or Rhaenyra... remember out talk?' Avalon reminded him.

'Daemon was not made to wear the crown. But I believe that you were.' Viserys told Avalon confidently. 'This is no trivial gesture, Avalon. A dragon's saddle is one thing, but the Iron Throne is the most dangerous seat in the realm.' Viserys warned. 

"Are you sure?" Avalon questioned. 

"I am." Viserys declared. "Avalon Rose Targaryen, you are my heir to the iron throne." 

"Oh, gosh... thats a lot of pressure." Avalon informed him. 

"I know you will do great things. Good and true, my avalon... my heir."

+

"Avalon is my heir. I will hear no more of this nonsense. She will make a good queen-"

"She is not married. She doesnt have any sons of her own." Beesbury spoke up.

"She isnt married... that is not a requirement for the title of heir." Viserys agreed.

"She fled the country after her tour-"

"She did not flee, she was exploring with our cousin, with my blessing." Viserys corrected. 

"Avalon is a wonderful woman. Daemon is not fit for the crown, we all know that... you all deemed it yourself. I have no sons and from where I sit... This title, this birthright, belongs to Avalon." Viserys declared. "I always thought she would make a good queen." He admitted. "She is such a sweet girl, smart, protective... I pray none of you have to lose your wives or a child. It is..." Viserys put a hand to his heart. "-it should never come to pass. Losing your other half. But it has.... Avalon is the heir. She will rule. I will hear no more of this."