64. Time Out

Aemond was cuddled up in avalons arms. Vaera was rolling around on the floor giggling.

Yep that summed up Avalon's children perfectly. 

"Vaera what are you doing?" Avalon questioned. Aemond glanced up, his hand still holding onto Avalon's dress. 

"Rolling!" Vaera answered. 

"Yes but... okay." Avalon agreed. Viserys chuckled coming in. 

"There is too much laughing going on," Viserys remarked. 

"DADDY!" Vaera declared jumping up. Viserys always felt so loved with Vaera. Helaena only spoke of bugs and Viserys wasnt really a fan of insects and well Aegon was... Aegon. Aemond was a mama's boy but Vaera was his perfect little girl. 

Viserys remembered when Avalon was little and she lit up when she saw him. Avalon smiled brightly as Viserys held Vaera close. Avalon knew he had the potential to be a great father when Aegon was born. But Viserys was being pulled in too many directions. He couldnt focus on the kids before but besides Rhaenyra's children, the capital seemed to be in order and Viserys got to spend more time doing what he loved, being with his Avalon and Vaera. 

"You and daddy have a playdate." Avalon suggested, "I'm going to tuck Aemond in for a nap."

"I'm not tired." He yawned out nestling into her chest. 

"Sure you arent sweetie pie." Avalon agreed rising up. "Giggle bug..." She reached out tickling Vaera's tummy. 

"Mommy," She answered through giggles. 

"You two have fun."

"Come on sweetheart," Viserys agreed. "The realms can run themselves for a while longer." He kissed Avalon before vaera tugged on his hand leading him out. 

"Lets go play with Mouse!" Vaera instructed. 

Mouse adored the children. Vaera and Aemond wanted a dragon more than anything but of course what you want most in the world is always out of grasp. They each had eggs that shimmered in the firelight but neither showed any signs of hatching. Aemond was less motivated for a dragon, he knew it would mean extra training sessions and that wasnt something he was excited for. 

"Hello Jace, do you and Aemond want to play? He really isnt tired." Avalon remarked as Aemond sat up rubbing at his eyes. Jace nodded holding out a figurine that looked like one of viserys. 

Aemond reached for it and Jace smiled wide picking up another, they grumbled like dragons making their little toys fly around and jump on toy castles, playing together for a solid 20 minutes before rhaenyra came in grumbling and muttering and scooping up jace and marching out without a word. Jace cried out reaching for Avalon and Aemond but Rhaenyra kept going. Avalon jumped up following her out. 

"Rhaenyra, whats wrong? Jace and Aemond were playing so nicely together." Avalon remarked. 

"I dont want my children playing with yours." Rhaenyra huffed out. 

"Why is that?" Avalon countered confused and little bit hurt at that statement.

"You know why."  Rhaenyra hissed. Avalon felt a wave of hatred rush through her, she was a level headed woman most of the time but Rhaenyra always wanted to start a fight. Avalon didnt know what came over her, most of the time she would have just turned around, maybe it was the pregnancy hormones and the need to defend her children or maybe she was just sick of Rhaenyra's pompous attitude but she sucked in a deep breath and declared for anyone in their general region to hear...

"Because my children are legitimate and yours are bastards?" Avalon stated boldly. Rhaenyra spun back around to face avalon. If she meant to be threatening Avalon wasnt phased. Avalon was the queen and would always be the queen. Avalon was the heir, had a legitimate son with Viserys and she would be a great queen. 

"Thou shall not test me!" Aegon demanded.  Alicents gaze turned deadly and aegon was suddenly standing in a corner face to the wall a big pout on his face.

"Did that go the way you thought it was going to go?"  Alicent pondered.

"Nope. " aegon admitted.

Heavens parenting was hard work. Never ending to. Never enough appreciation and never enough alone time.

Time outs were wonderful. Aegon hated them but he didn't complain after the first three minutes knowing he wasn't getting out of it.

"Oh no what did Aegon do?" Vaera questioned.

"Hey You're supposed to love me!"

"I do!" Vaera agreed "But you are trouble Aegon."

Bastard was heard from their room and Aegon turned around. 

"Ummm can I go now? That sounds more important." Aegon decided. 

"Face the wall, your time out is not done yet." Alicent corrected moving outside to see Rhaenyra and Avalon in a face off. 

"We both know that title should have been mine." Rhaenyra hissed. 

"And look what good it would have done you." Avalon tsked. "Your father just wants to protect you but you are making him look like a fool Rhaenyra. All of us because he hasnt thrown you out yet."

"He would never-"

"You are right. He would never throw you out but you need...  you need..." Avalon huffed a breath. Aegon's little voice came down the hallway as he peered out the door. 

"A time out...' Aegon decided. They turned to him. "Rhaenyra needs a time out!"