14. Let's Be Hasty

'Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kings guard. But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace, I hope.' Viserys remarked

'Yes, Your Grace.' Mellos agreed. 'He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters.' He informed Viserys. 'The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kings guard.'

'Your Grace. My lords.' Ser Harrold remarked. 'The Kings guard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials.' Ser Harrold informed them as the door swung open.

'Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner.' Corlys remarked coming to the table. 'The Step stones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business.'

'If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys...' Otto remarked.

'I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men.'

'The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew, and make an offering to the men's families.'

'I don't want compensation. I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crab feeder.' Corlys told them slamming his fist down on the table.

'I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities.' Viserys told him.

'These pirates are not the Free Cities. Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?'

'In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities. Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable.'

'What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us? The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks.' Coryls remarked a challenging stare at Viserys. 'Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from The Crown.'

'I'll caution you, Lord Corlys, a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal.' Otto warned

'I have acted, Corlys.' Viserys told him. 'I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled... in time.' Viserys added

'You have dragon riders, father. Send us.' Rhaenyra suggested, being the cup bearer she was present at most meeting when she wasn't out riding Syrax. There was a soft chuckle among the group and Rhaenyra's face pinched, she was right in speaking up.

'It isn't that simple, Rhaenyra.' Viserys told her.

'It would be a show of force.' Rhaenyra told them.

'At least the Princess has a plan.' Corlys remarked

'I only meant that we should at least...' Rhaenyra began.

'Perhaps, uh... there's some better use for the Princess's talents, Your Grace.' Otto suggested.

'Why don't you take the Princess to see about the new Kingsguard posting, Lord Commander?' Viserys suggested

'A fine idea, Your Grace.'

Rhaenyra followed her guards out begrudgingly. As she looked over the knights she was severely disappointed though.

'Rhaenyra, what are you up to today?' Avalon questioned running up to her.

'Being kicked out of small council meetings.' Rhaenyra griped.

'She was asked to review knights for the kings service.' Harrold corrected.

'Lovely,' Avalon assured wrapping an arm around Rhaenyra. 'Those meetings are a bore.' Avalon assured.

'You have been to meeting?' Rhaenyra questioned.

"I was your fathers cup bearer before you for a bit.' Avalon informed her.

'I forgot about that.' Rhaenyra recalled.

'Yes and I will tell you now, politics are not for me." Avalon added. Harrold stared back at her. "But I will learn." She assured. "I should probably start going to those, shouldnt I?"

''You being here makes everything a little less awful.' Rhaenyra told her as they got outside.

"I try my best... just a little bit less?' Avalon teased. "I meant to talk to you about that." Avalon added softly. "About the heir thing."

"Father chose you, you will do better then Daemon. Everyone thinks so." Rhaenyra assured.

"Thank you but I meant... well..." Avalon faltered looking to her feet.

"I'm happy for you auntie." Rhaenyra assured as she grabbed her hand.

"You are?"

"Of course, you will do better than Daemon or I ever could." Rhaenyra assured.

"Thank you... thats really sweet. I'm sure you would have been an excellent heir." Avalon added and Rhaenyra shrugged.

'This knight will protect you as well.' Harrold said getting their attention on the task at hand.

'You should choose.' Otto told Rhaenyra. 'Ser Desmond Caron, a fine knight, Princess.' Otto remarked. "Step forward, Ser Desmond. Son of Ser Royce Caron, Ser Desmond has proved strong and steady in both the tourney lists and without. While traveling through the Kingswood on his way to King's Landing, Ser Desmond recently brought a would-be poacher to justice." Rhaenyra stared down at them bored though. "You might thank him for his service, Princess." Otto remarked softly.

"We thank you for your loyal service to The Crown, ser." Rhaenyra told him stiffly, still unimpressed.

'Yes thank you.' Avalon agreed shooing him away. Harrold cleared his throat before introducing the next knight.

"Ser Rymun Mallister. Son of Lord Lymond Mallister of Seagard. Winner of the melee at Cider Hall. He was the last mounted of three-and-twenty knights. Ser Rymun was knighted at eight-and-ten." Harrold went on.

"Do any of these knights have combat experience?" Avalon questioned.

"Beyond capturing poachers." Rhaenyra added.

'My brother is a kind man but he is not so skilled in combat.' Avalon reminded Harrold. 'he needs someone that can... him.' Avalon said pointing at Criston Cole. Harrold waving a hand bringing Ser Criston forward.

'Ser Criston Cole.' Harrold went on "Son of the steward of the Lord of Blackhaven."

"Be welcome, Ser Criston." Rhaenyra said

'You kicked Daemon's ass to the ground, although Daemon did have my favor and has now ruined my good winning streak because of this handsome man...' Avalon recalled and Criston nodded politely trying to keep the smile off his face. "Pick him." Avalon told her niece.

"You saw combat in the Stormlands." Rhaenyra remarked.

"Dornish marches, Princess. I fought for a year as a foot solider against the Dornish incursions. Ser Arlan Dondarrion knighted me after we razed two of the watchtowers along the Boneway." Criston informed her.

"I choose Ser Criston Cole." Rhaenyra said immediately. Avalon nodded in agreement.

"Let's not be too hasty, Princess." Harrold said quietly.

"Lets be hasty." Avalon teased.

"There's no doubt Ser Criston is a fine warrior, but houses such as Crakehall and Mallister are important allies of The Crown. Seagard, for instance, is the realm's prime defense against reavers from the Iron Islands." Harrold reminded her.

"Those men are tourney knights. My father should be defended by a man who's known real combat. Should he not?" Rhaenyra countered.

"My girl!!' Avalon declared proudly as she clapped happily.

"Of course, Princess." Harrold agreed.

"Well, let us plan Ser Criston's investiture then." Rhaenyra decided.

"Oh, Rhaenyra... have you heard anything from Daemon?" Avalon pondered. "I'm worried about him."

"I'm sure he is fine."