15. When the Heart Breaks

'The Valyrian capital was built into a volcano, much like Dragonstone. And the dragonlords, the highest of the nobility, lived here, at the volcanic face, closest to the source of their magic and power. And this was the Anogrion." Viserys told Alicent as she tried to win her way into the kings heart. She didnt want to. Otto wanted her to.

"Where the bloodmages worked their craft." Avalon declared coming up to them. Alicent noticed how Viserys lit up when he saw his little sister, she needed to get his attention back on herself even if she didnt want Viserys for herself even if she wanted Avalons attention. "Hello ALicent."

"Hello Avalon." Alicent beamed back at her.

"Learning about witches and magic is my forte." Avalon remarked wrapping an arm around Alicent. "Come to me for the fun parts of history." Viserys chuckled but ALicent was hypnotized.

"I would like that." Alicent agreed but she cleared her throat, she had to stay on task. 'It is truly wondrous what you've built.' Alicent remarked and felt Avalons hand trilling over her hip.

'Oh no. I only pore over the histories and provide the plans. The stonemasons built the structures.' Viserys corrected.

'Kings just sit back and drink and bark orders. Right brother?" Avalon teased, he smirked pulling her to him. "That will be me one day, I should start practicing."

"You will be a great queen." Alicent declared.

"Thank you." Avalon put a hand to her heart. "I shall try. But viserys is a hard act to follow." Viserys chuckled smiling back at his little sister.

"Do you believe that Westeros can be another Valyria, Your Grace?" Alicent pondered pulling her gaze away from avalon.

"That depends, whether you speak of the Freehold at its height or at its fall. Over a thousand dragons, a navy large enough to span the seas of the world." Avalon told her.

"The glory of Old Valyria will never be seen again." Viserys remarked but his cup slipped through his fingers crashing to the ground. 'Seven Hells.' He muttered.

"I got it.' Avalon assured. He sucked in a deep breath looking to Alicent. Alicent watched Avalon move kneeling among the mess yet she still looked so elegant and beautiful.

'Tell me, how is Rhaenyra?'

'What do you mean?' Alicent questioned and Avalon looked up to them picking up the broken shards.

'Well, these days, she doesn't say more than a few words to me. I think she might find it difficult... to discuss personal matters.' Viserys told her. Alicent had visited him often, which he found he enjoyed talking history with her but he felt bad spending time with Rhaenyra's best friend instead of his own daughter.

'Have you ever known how to talk to your daughter?" Avalon questioned. Viserys tipped his head back and forth in contemplation. 'Our father didn't know how to talk to me.' Avalon remarked.

'It will take time. It did when I lost mine own mother.' Alicent informed him trying to get her own focus off of Avalon, but how was Alicent supposed to compete with a woman, a sliver haired beauty that already had his heart. The heart she suddenly wanted for herself when Avalon met her gaze.

"I wish she would approach me." Viserys told them softly.

"What if you went to her?" Alicent offered.

"There are times when I would rather face the Black Dread himself than mine own daughter of 15." Viserys informed her bleakly. Avalon chuckled.

"You are ridiculous.' Avalon told him. 'You don't have to make it so formal, go for a walk or met us by the dragons.' Avalon suggested. "You don't need to worry yourself about it.' Viserys nodded, could it be that easy?

"I think she would open herself to you if invited. You do have such an easy way about you, Your Grace." Alicent remarked.

"Um..." Viserys took a step away from Alicent as Avalon disposed of the broken cup. 'you do not mention our talks to Rhaenyra, do you?' Viserys questioned and Alicent stared at him a moment longer confused. 'I just... I fear that she wouldn't understand them.'

'No, Your Grace.' Alicent assured.

"You make it seem scandalous what do you two do when Im not here to keep you in line?" Avalon teased.

+

"If you are worried-'

'Of course I am. It has been moons and I barely spoke a few words to her.' Viserys reminded his sister.

'And daemon being daemon doesn't help.' Avalon added. Viserys nodded in agreement. "I'm here for the both of you. I know Rhaenyra can be... well more like me at times but she had your heart.' Viserys stared down at Avalon he didn't realize how much he missed her until she was a constant in his life again.

'What do you think of Alicent?"

'What do you mean?" Avalon questioned.

"Her... coming to me... talking with me... is that strange?" Viserys questioned knowing full well it was but he needed a sound mind to tell him that.

"It...' Avalon hesitated. "Do you enjoy your talks with her?" Avalon countered.

"I...' Viserys thought about it. "At times it is nice to speak to someone about the histories yes.' Viserys told her.

'But other times?" Avalon questioned.

"It feels like a secret, like talking with the girl is something scandalous.' Viserys admitted.

"Do you want to keep talking history with her?" Avalon offered.

'I would rather talk history with you.' Viserys assured her. "I feel bad speaking with Alicent when I cant even speak to my own daughter."

"Yes... I noticed that." Avalon agreed. "Alicent is a sweet girl but...' Avalon bit her tongue it was not her place.

"What?" Viserys urged.

"Not my place.." avalon remarked.

"I welcome your honesty always." Viserys assured.

"She lost her mother, she is trying to help you. From what I heard Otto Hightower did not handle his wifes death well.'' Avalon went on. ''Perhaps she is trying to keep you from turning into her father.'' Avalon offered.

''Otto is a good man and loyal friend.'' Viserys told her.

"When the heart breaks it is hard to piece it back together.'' Avalon told him.

''That is true.'' Viserys agreed. ''you sound like you know from experience.'' He mused

''oh, no.'' Avalon said sheepishly.

''just your romance books.'' Viserys pondered.

''I like my romance on the page, less chance of heart break.'' Avalon told him. ''yet I have had my heart broken by a countless amount of fictional characters.'' She added.

'Heart break through the pages...' Viserys chuckled. Avalon shrugged.

''Usually easier to recover from.' Avalon admitted

''So you have spoken to Rhaenyra then?" Viserys asked.

"She is... coping.'' Avalon offered. 'But I do think you talking to her would be beneficial. I can be a buffer, keep things from getting awkward if you want?" Avalon offered.

''Yes.'' Viserys agreed. "I would like that.''