21. I Think I'm In Trouble

"No, please, Lord Lyonel. I have come looking for an unencumbered opinion." Viserys remarked leaning over the table with urgency.

"That's all I would ever give, Your Grace." Lyonel assured.

"Ever since my name was read by the archmaesters at the Great Council, I have felt Corlys Velaryon's envious gaze staring at me from across the Blackwater."

"You sit upon the highest seat in the realm, Your Grace. Proud men don't like having to look up."Lyonel remarked.

"Laena Velaryon."

"Lord Corlys is your Master of Ships and she is the eldest daughter of the wealthiest house in the realm. She comes from unimpeachable Velaryon stock and she has Targaryen blood." Lyonel told him. "What's to mislike?"

"She is 12."

"She will mature. "

"I never asked to remarry."

" As King, you have a claim on all things. Even those you don't want. Marriage is not an obligation you can put off for long."

"What if I was to reject Lord Corlys's proposal?" Viserys suggested

"He would not be like to take it well. I fear nothing short of a direct line to the Iron Throne would satisfy him. You should also consider that we find ourselves on the precipice of war in the Stepstones. And the Sea Snake holds claim to nearly half the realm's ships." Lyonel told him.

"He would not dare withhold them in the face of the realm's need. Who is he to hector me?" Viserys countered

"No one, Your Grace. But Driftmark makes for a better ally than it does an enemy. The Sea Snake has made a calculated reach, a fair play for a man of his position. If you truly want my unencumbered opinion..." Lyonel questioned.

"I do."

"You should wed Laena Velaryon, Your Grace. Sate Lord Corlys and fix him at your side, permanently, as an ally." Lyonel told him

'I had another thought... someone older, someone more-' Viserys began as the door swung open.

"Your Grace," Ser Steffon announced. 'the Princess Avalon has returned from Dragonstone.'

'Dragonstone?' Viserys questioned.

+

"Brother." Avalon said sweetly as she handed off the egg. he stared down at it before looking back up at her. that face, that I didn't do anything wrong oh so innocent face. "I was just trying to help.' Avalon told him.

"You disobeyed me. You fled King's Landing without a word and you acted without The Crown's leave. You are my sister and my friend, my world Avalon. You could've been killed." Viserys shouted as he hugged her.

"I'm sorry.' Avalon said softly

"You went to Dragonstone." Viserys repeated shaking his head.

"And retrieved the egg without bloodshed." Avalon told him calmly. "A feat I'm not sure Ser Otto could've accomplished alone." She added she didn't trust that man.

"Yes, well..." Viserys chuckled.

"Aunt Avalon!' Rhaenyra shouted running up to them.

"Hi sweetie,' Avalon coed. "I think I might be in trouble.' She whispered smiling over Rhaenyra's shoulder as Viserys.

'I was going to go to Dragonstone so you saved me from getting yelled at.' Rhaenyra admitted and Viserys rolled his eyes.

'I sometimes forget how alike you both are.' He said with a chuckle.

'What can I say? She learned from the best.' Avalon told him. Viserys stared as them a moment longer, he knew he had to tell Rhaenyra of the councils plans for him to marry if she didn't already know. Having Avalon here to help smooth things through would be helpful as well.

'Rhaenyra... Your mother's absence is a wound that will never heal. Without her... the Red Keep has lost a warmth that I dare say it will never recover." Viserys told her Avalon ran a hand over Rhaenyra's back soothingly as she nodded.

"It pleases me to hear you say this." Rhaenyra told him "To know that I'm not alone in my grief."

"I wish I had known better what to say to you in the aftermath. I struggled to realize that my daughter had so quickly become a woman grown. But I know... she understands what is now expected of me." Viserys told her.

"The King must take a new wife." Rhaenyra agreed. She didn't like the idea but she knew it had to be done. She didnt want her father marrying Laena but it seemed the only option.

"I could never replace your mother. No more than I intend to replace you... or you my Avalon, this isnt replacing you as heir." Viserys assured.

"That thought never once crossed my mind." Avalon remarked honestly and Viserys sighed pressing a kiss to her temple. Of course she wouldnt have such wicked thoughts.

"Our line is vulnerable, too easily ended. And by marrying again, I may begin to ensure that we are better defended." Viserys told them.

"Against whom?"

"Whomever may dare to challenge us. I do not wish to make us estranged."'

"You are the King... and so, your first duty is to the realm. Mother would've understood this. Just as I do." Rhaenyra assured him. Viserys looked to Avalon as he let out a sigh, Rhaenyra understood, there was no bloodshed or shouting, no fires blazing or daggers drawn. He couldn't have hoped for anything better, Avalon safe, the egg returned and Rhaenyra understood what he had to do.

+

"Hey," Avalon said with a little knock on Alicent's door. 

"Avalon," Alicent tried to right herself fixing her hair and nightgown. 

"I'm sorry I'm so late, I do hope its alright? I could come back in the morrow?" Avalon offered. 

"No!" Alicent practically shouted. "No... please, stay." Alicent corrected softly. Avalon smiled taking a seat beside Alicent. 

"Alright, no dragon dung, tell me whats going on." Avalon requested.