86. Forgive

It had been nearly six years since Rhaenyra ran off with her tail between her legs. Avalon has two more children. Aeron and little alice.

Viserys has been fading and Avalon hatred losing him. But things had shifted since aemond lost an eye. But avalon still loved viserys. But the maesters were useless. Avalon was lucky to have such attentive children and Alicent to help with the younger kids. Aemond was so good with his siblings. Always the responsible leader. A good future heir as well.

Avalon smiled kissing her son Aemonds head. He stared up at her with eyes that always wanted to please.

"I see you are studying hard with Vaera." Avalon mused. Vaera was upside down in the chair half asleep.

"I tried mum." Aemond agreed.

"My queen." Criston bowed his head to avalon. Being co queens with alicent was quite fun. Especially since alicent and avalon were more than just queens but bed mates as well and the best of friends.

While viserys drifted away from some awful sickness criston had really been a wonderful friend. A trustworthy companion. Certainly handsome to look at as well. Not that Avalon was looking... No. Never... maybe just a peek.

"Ser Criston." Avalon answered. Aemond rolled his eyes. He knew his mother was beautiful and attracted many onlookers but criston had become like an uncle. Trained them taught them. He didnt want criston thinking he could step on his fathers toes even if viserys wasnt all there all the time.

Alice was still a baby surely that meant his parents still loved each other.

"Mum can you help me with this?" Aemond cut in their little stare off. Avalon pulled her gaze from Criston and sat beside Aemond.

"Of course baby." She reached a hand out squeezing his arm as she leaned in. "Ah the great wars, your father is the best at history. He used to bore me with stories every night put me right to bed." Avalon half mused.

"He used to sing us songs at night." Aemond recalled.

''Thats right." Avalon agreed. "Dragon hunt, the littlest dragon-"

"The dragon quest." Aemond agreed.

"You always loved that one the most." Avalon agreed kissing his temple and stroking his hair. Aemond leaned into her and Vaera startled awake her shoe falling off her foot. "Oh vaera, love thank you for joining us." Avalon agreed. "We were just about to start on the great history of-"

"MUM!" Vaera whined. "This is so boring! Why do we have to know this stuff?"

"A good ruler knows-"

"Aemond is your heir." vaera corrected. "Making all of this useless for me. Im not going to rule. Yep." Vaera agreed with herself.

"I told you mum, I tried." Aemond agreed.

"Go off and play." Avalon agreed nudging them along. Vaera was wide awake for that.

"Race ya to the pits!" Vaera declared.

"Avalon," Alicent moved to her side, grabbing her hand.

"Hi," Avalon answered kissing her cheek. "Whats wrong?" She added seeing the pinched look on Alicents face.

"Vaemond Velaryon is coming to the capital. A petition of Jacaerys Velaryon's legitimacy." Alicent answered.

"Oh... heavens." Avalon countered.

"Yes..." Alicent agreed.

"I know you and Rhaenyra dont get along my dear but... the children are-"

"Are you going to say innocent?" Alicent pondered. "After what Luke did your Aemond?"

"I was." Avalon agreed stiffly. It was a horrible day avalon wanted to go back and erase it from her mind.

"Face it my darling, you havent forgiven them either. They stole Aemond's eye." Alicent hissed.

"I know. I... I hate it. I hated them all for a long while." Avalon admitted. "But holding onto hate doesnt do us any good. We shall hear both sides. Both pleas. Viserys will decide whats-"

"Avalon," alicent tsked. "You know he hasnt been himself in ages. Not since little Alice was born." Alicent had been so honored avalon wanted to name their final child after Alicent. Avalon knew it would be the last. Viserys looked so happy that day when she mounted him like a dragon and rode him into oblivion. Then little Alice came and viserys will to live seemed to fade.

"He wont turn against rhaenyra."

"He should." Alicent countered. "After what happened to our Aemond. Im still furious."

"Alicent please..."

"Avalon i dont know how you do it." Alicent whispered

"What?"

"Forgive."

"I havent forgiven. I just am better at hiding it."