17. Less Deadly

"We haven't spoken much... since. A regret of mine. We should be free to speak our minds to one another."

"You can say whatever you'd like. You are the King." Rhaenyra reminded him and Viserys chuckled, yes he was, but he didn't feel like it at times with every single person he seemed to have to answer to.

'I loved your mother... very much.' Avalon looked between them she was trying to help but even she couldn't stop the tension, diffuse the pain that covered them both.

'As did I.' Rhaenyra assured her fingers tap, tap, tapping on table. 'Ser Harrold provided a fine field of tourney knights.'

'Oh?' Viserys questioned

'Oh yes, that's right.'' Avalon said smiling at Rhaenyra. 'she picked you a fine knight. There were very few that were worthy of the challenge.' Avalon teased bringing her glass to her lips, Viserys turned to his daughter a silent request for more.

'Yes and in questioning them, I discovered that Ser Criston was the only man among them with true battle experience." Rhaenyra told him.

"He'll make a fine knight of the Kingsguard." Viserys agreed he found it hard to look at his daughter. "Today at Small Council..."

"Pay it no mind. I, I thought I might have had some insight, but..." Rhaenyra began.

"You're young. You will learn." Viserys told her confidently.

'She has the right idea.' Avalon added. 'I mean... dreams didn't make you a king.'' Avalon reminded him. ''Dragons did.''

"And yet dreams and passions will guide you my dearest Avalon when you reign." Viserys assured and Rhaenyras face soured.

"But Mouse will be my master of war." Avalon remarked seriously before a smile cracked over her face.

+

"This is our best chance to save the digit, Your Grace." Mellos remarked. ' The maggots will remove the dead flesh and hopefully stop the advance of the rot.' Avalon held her brothers good hand.

"I don't want to be here." Avalon told him. "I don't like this...'' she stared down at the maggots. "Why does he keep getting sick?" Avalon asked Mellos.

"Hard to say it could be-' Mellos began.

"It's the old iron throne.' Viserys told her. 'Nothing to worry about, love.''

'Perhaps we make a new throne?" Avalon offered. ''one less... deadly.''

'I will add it to the long list of things to do.'' Viserys mused.

"I'm just saying if every time you sit in it you need maggots to eat your skin, its not worth it..'' Avalon told him sincerely.

"You always were the one to look out for me.' Viserys remarked.

"You don't take care of yourself. Someone has to.'' Avalon told him.

'Go one love, I don't need you to see this.' He gestured to the maggots.

'Oh thank God.' Avalon said getting up. "I love you and I am here emotionally just not physically.' She offered blowing him a kiss as she left.

'I held an audience earlier today with Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys.' Viserys remarked needing to change the subject as the door closed behind Avalon.

"That was most charitable of you, Your Grace. I'm sure Lord Corlys appreciated the spirit of it." Mellos told him.

"He proposed a marriage." Viserys disclosed.

"To whom, Your Grace?" Mellos pondered.

"The Lady Laena." Viserys told him and Mellos stopped examining his hand. Viserys nodded, he had the same reaction. "To combine the strength of our houses, and demonstrate my reign's strongest days are ahead, not behind." He repeated.

"Lord Corlys has overreached, Your Grace." Otto told him 'Such matters must be discussed with the Small Council." Otto reminded him biting back the edge to his voice.

"That is what I'm doing, presently. So... what is your advice, dear Otto." Viserys told him.

"The Lady Laena... is young, Your Grace." Otto told him trying to think of a reason to void this immediately.

"Indeed, but the wounds made by the Great Council still linger, my King. A match with their daughter would go a long way towards sealing the breach and uniting the two great Valyrian houses would certainly signal unity throughout the realm and beyond." Mellos reminded Otto.

"The Grand Maester's reasoning is sound." Otto agreed stiffly.

"I do fear what Rhaenyra might think." Viserys added softly.

"What does it matter, Your Grace? Her mother has passed. Her father must propagate the royal line." Mellos reminded him.

"I, uh, dearly loved my own lady wife. The pain of her passing still haunts me. And to be compelled to... replace her for duty's sake." Otto said offering his own wisdom to the situation. "You are the King. But I do not envy you."

"Perhaps another option?" Mellos suggested.

"Yes." Otto agreed. "Keep your options open, that is a fine idea." Otto went on eagerly.

"I will admit I have someone else on my mind." Viserys agreed.

"You know your grace perhaps a union for your heir. Avalon would be able to start strengthening the line as well." Otto remarked. "Another house lannister perhaps or maybe dorne? They would surely love her as much as you do." He added. "Or a stark. Her guard was a stark correct? That would be-"

"Im not sending Avalon away. I promised her I would never marry her off." Viserys corrected.

"Of course your grace but that was before she became your heir." Otto remarked.

"Yes... but my feelings have not changed. I want her to find love. To be in love... I want avalon to have a great love story."