Chapter 7

-Connor-

I am already not liking this. This camp is literally located in the middle of nowhere. It's like an oasis in the middle of a desert. Except, this oasis is not giving me and help or refuge so far. It's very big and intimidating. A big modern central building behind a circle drive with bubbly and fake happy paid counselors signing up the kids for hell. As this sign-up day came closer, the less I wanted to go and the more I worried about it. On top with going there to find therapeutic help, I'll have to share a cabin with three other guys that will probably think I'm weird for being so antisocial and awkward. It's like being put through the seven circles of my own personal hell. I mean, doing outdoors-y type of stuff is hell enough for me. Add that to people and...orientation issues, you'll get me out of that equation.

I had already put my stuff in the cabin, with no one in the cabin. The people who occupied the left side of the cabin were here. But, no one was on the right side, except me, who was in the upper corner. I didn't really unpack my stuff, because my parents and I were told we needed to talk to Mr. Graceffa about my counseling as soon as possible. We were currently waiting in his office for him to arrive. I was sat in a comfy blue chair next to my mom, who was in the middle. My dad occupied the left side of the room. I sat that there, letting my mind drift off in awkward silence as we wait for the presence of Mr. Graceffa.

I heard a voice on the outside of the office door. "Just tell Nicole that I am fully staffed. I don't want her near this camp anymore. She's still pissed of at me from five years ago...yes, tell her we're fully staffed...yes...go ahead and cancel my five 'o' clock, that's fine...ok...alright...talk to you later." After the voice stopped, a man walked into the office. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Franta." He greeted them as he moved behind his desk. "So, I assume you're Connor." He looked at me with a friendly smile. His hands were laced together, resting on his desk. This guy, who I assumed was Mr. Graceffa, was wearing a blue polo and white cargo shorts. I just nodded my head at the question. "Alright, so judging by the camp form you sent in online," He said, looking down at his desk, pointing. "Connor is having a few issues with depression, self harm, and sexual orientation." He said, once finishing, looking up at my parents.

"Yes, he is." She said, nodding slowly. "I think the main issue is his sexual orientation, which is causing depression and the self harm." She added. Mr. Graceffa listened intently with a slight nod after a few details about my issues. I just sat there, twirling my thumbs, feeling my face begin to flush. It's not fun hearing your parents explain what's wrong with you.

After about five minutes of conversation, Mr. Graceffa spoke to me. "Connor, do you mind if I have you leave for a few minutes so I can talk to your parents? I just need to ask them a few things." I was concerned. I looked at my mom, who looked at me and nodded. "It'll be okay." She said. I then moved up and out of my seat. I moved towards the door, turned the knob, and moved through. Outside, there was a row of chairs of three on each side of the hallway. I moved across the hallway into the dull blue chair. I looked up and down the hallway. There were staff members bustling with manilla folders going into different rooms. There was no one else sitting on either side of the hallway. At the left end of the hallway, a girl entered through the glass double doors into the building. She had brown hair and piercing blue eyes. She looked distressed. She was walking down the hallway in a fast walk. When she was about half way to the other end of the hallway, where I was at, a guy busted through the doors the girl just entered. He was wearing a white beanie that hid most of his brown hair. He had hazel eyes and was jogging to catch the girl. He called out, "Look, just listen to me!" He said. He had a rough, British accent. I looked away, noticing that there might be conflict. I looked down towards my shoes.

"I've listened to you enough!" I heard the girl scream out at him. She also had a British accent. I heard the footsteps stop. Letting my curiosity overcome me, I looked up to see the girl facing the guy.