Chapter 12

-Connor-

"See ya Con." I heard Troye call behind me. I stuffed my hands in my pockets walked down the dirt pathway. I couldn't help but crack the hugest grin. Troye is just a wonderful human being. All of my problems and negative thoughts just magically float out of my mind when I'm in his arms. I just felt like a totally different person around him. And I liked that person. I felt really confident and happy around him. All of my bad thoughts and temptations vanish at the mention of his name.

As I emerged from the forest and onto the familiar sidewalk, I look up to see a blonde haired, tall figure that I recognized. It was Caspar. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets and walking fast towards the dirt pathway that led to the pond. His face showed angst and anguish. I could distinctly see his eyes were turning red and watery.

"Caspar?" I said, kinda worried. I knew that he was going to see Troye, but as Troye seemed to describe, Caspar was never like this. He was always happy and joyful. "Are you alright?"

He just walked right past me without a word. He looked really pitiful and depressed. I know the feeling. I'll ask about him when Troye comes to the cabin.

I made my way past the central building. I could see Joe sitting up and moving around in the medical tent. Joe saw me and gave me a small, meaningless smirk. I just waved back. He was rotating his right shoulder in a clockwise motion, wincing in pain when it got past a certain point. I felt bad for him, although a part of me didn't. He brought that fight onto himself.

I made my way back into the cabin, which was vacant. I plopped onto my bed and picked up my journal. I grabbed my black pen and opened to the next blank page.

Today, I met this boy named Troye at the camp. I've only known him for half a day, and I'm already liking his company. Every time I see him, I get butterflies in my stomach. I feel my heartbeat pick up. This isn't a petty crush. No, not like the ones that come and go. This one is special. This one is special because he opened up to me about his problems and he showed me his battle scars. This one is because whenever I'm around him, I'm not scared to be myself. The person I use to be in seventh grade: the actual me. He doesn't make it hurt anymore. Initially, he did. But...he made everything disappear. He makes me not afraid to be ga-

Someone busted through the cabin door with great velocity. I jumped at the surprise visit. It was the girl I saw earlier in the hall today.

She spoke, "Have you seen Joe?"

"Um yeah. He's in the medical tent."I say.

"Are you Zoë?" I ask her.

"Yeah, Joe's sister. Why?"

I debated my next question. Letting it bounce in my mind.

"What happened the last night of last year's camp?" I asked, hoping I wouldn't offend her.

She looked away from me. She cocked her head to the left, letting out a breath, then storming out of the cabin. So much for no offense.

I went back to writing in my journal about whatever came to mind, which just happened to be Troye. I kept writing until I heard the screen door open again. I look up to see the person I've been writing about. He had a sullen look on his face. He sunk into his bed silently, without a word.

"Umm, are you okay?" I asked.

"You think you know someone for your whole life, only to be throw a curveball." He said, his voice wavering. I sprung into action, closing my journal, and moving to Troye's bedside. I sat on the end of the bed.

"Is it about Caspar?"

"He's just hidden so much about himself from me and other people. He couldn't handle it anymore." He said, his voice filled with sadness.