Chapter 22

-Connor-

Should I tell Troye about Caspar? I mean, he has a right to know, right? He has a right to know that his best friend might not be interested in Joe anymore. But, I don't know how Caspar will feel about me telling Troye about it. I think Troye is catching on anyway. I mean he caught me thinking about it atop of the mountain about an hour ago. Definitely from the Caspar/Joe fight from this morning at the table. He should begin to notice the signs of different interest. I just want the best for Caspar, and that maybe mean keeping our little confrontation this morning. But fuck, I feel guilty about not telling Tro.

"Seriously Con. Is everything okay?" I heard Troye ask me, breaking me from my thoughts. I looked up at him. He had a concerned look on his face. The last thing I wanted to do was make him worried or unhappy.

"I am okay, Tro. Everything is fine." I say to Troye, giving his hand reassuring squeeze. He just smiled back at me. He then looked forward, as did I. I was still worried that Troye will be angry with me. I don't know how he would react.

It's been an hour since we got to the top and we've been making our way back. Caspar and Joe traveled together as did Dan and Phil. Marcus, Alfie, and Shane walked down together, engaging in loud arguments and retorts.

The forest we were in began to thin out and the road began to be visible. We approached the black tar ground as Korey and Tyler took the lead, making sure there were no cars oncoming. Korey waved us on and entered through the arch that held up a sign of the camp. We traveled down the driveway that led to the circle drive where all of the campers were dropped off on the first day. I remember that first day still. The awkward sign-in, the confrontation with Zoë and Alfie in the center building hallway, the meeting with Mr. Graceffa, meeting Troye, then...cutting myself. Wow. That was nearly a week ago. You could still faintly see the scars if you are close enough to see them. And I have changed so much because of all these people. But, one in particular.

"Con, you coming to lunch?" Troye said, snapping me out of my daze. He faced me with his hands in mine. Jesus, I want him to be mine so bad. I want to be able to call him my boyfriend. I wanna be able to be held and kiss whenever for no reason. Tonight at the dance, I wanna do more than just slow dance with him. I wanted to prove to him somehow that I am ready. But Jesus fucking Christ, it's gonna be a huge move if I follow through with it. And what happens if he reacts badly?

"Yeah, let's go." I said to him, giving him a cute smile. He smiled back as we tailed the rest of the group, except for Caspar and Joe, who were moving towards the cabins.

We moved through the line and got checked out by Glozell. We moved to the usual table that was closest to the full-sized windows. The usual crown sat down with Joe and Caspar's spot vacant.

The usual conversation plagued the table until Ricky and Jenna approached the table.

"Taken?" Ricky looked at me. I shook my head as Ricky and Jenna situated themselves at the table.

"So, how was hiking this morning?" Ricky asked Troye and me.

"You had to work for it, but the view at the top was stunning." I heard Troye say.

"Ugh, I wish I could've gone. It sounds like so much fun." Ricky said, sighing afterwards.

"What did you do today?" I asked him.

"Today, my cabin went to archery and knife throwing." Ricky laughed. "Kian, while throwing a knife, nearly hit Trevor in the head when he was getting his knife out of the wood. Trevor literally screamed out 'Are you fucking kidding me?' and about threw one back until Louis told him to calm down and take a few breaths." Ricky smiled all the way through the story and talked with his hands to the table.