Chapter 24

-Connor-

"YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE!"

Troye, who was in front of me and who I was dancing with, was just pushed over from another person who I assumed was pushed. Troye recovered by stabilizing with his hands on my shoulders. I looked to see who was causing the commotion. I looked past a few shoulders to see Caspar nearly in tears. The only thing I was thinking was what did Joe do now.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME FOREVER!"

And with that, Caspar sprinted out of the mess hall with swiftness that it was almost impressive. Being the guy that he is, Troye immediately goes after him with no word said. Troye went out the door. I turned back to look at Joe, who had a look of genuine shock and despair. I moved forward to him, angrily. Even though I didn't know Caspar that well, I knew enough that all his grief was caused by Joe.

"What the hell did you say to him?!" I said, feeling like I wanna punch him straight in the mouth.

His eyes brimmed with tears and his speech was uneven.

"I...I just said...I cared about him a lot."

I stood there in confused silence for a few seconds before I realized Troye ran after Caspar. I sprinted out of the doors with Joe's statement in the back of my head. As I began to run down the pavement, I saw a figure disappear behind the woods and another one headed in that direction.

"Troye boy!" I called out. He immediately turned around. I continued to run toward him. I would've been out of breathe, but I had too much adrenaline in my blood stream.

"Connor I'm sorry for bailing so quickly. I'm just worried about him." He said, his eyes alert and his body tense and ready for action.

"It's alright..." I said, feeling slightly neglected. I have respect for Troye, but he needs to stop cleaning up messes that aren't his. "Just be careful and don't take too long." I say, putting on a fake smile. Troye moved towards me with his arms open. Of course, I went into his offer. Even in the face of alert, Troye boy hugs are the best boy hugs.

"I won't take long, I promise." He said into my ear before releasing and running off towards the woods.  He didn't look back or give a second thought to me it seemed like. But, Caspar's in distress. I should give him some slack.

I regained my thoughts and began to lightly jog to the mess hall. I guess the best thing to help is to find Joe and calm him down. I push open the doors and try to find Joe in the sea of people. I looked over a few couples making out and friends in circles and found a lonesome boy sitting near the DJ. I walked through the crowd, giving people the polite 'excuse me' or 'sorry'. Once through, I approached the chair that was propped up against the wall with a sullen person in its company.

"Come on." I say to Joe, grabbing his hand and pulling him upward. He refused a bit, but he seemed too neglected and weak to make an impact. I dragged him outside and escorted him to the side of the mess hall. The sounds of the bass still very apparent.

"Joe." I say, as he leans up against the wall and slowly slides down. He says no word as he slumps over with his head propped on his folded forearms on his angled knees.

"Joe calm on." I say, sitting down next to him. I see his chest and stomach jerk in rhythmic motions.

He was crying. The infamous hot-headed Sugg had been put out.