Chapter 20

-Connor-

I slowly opened my eyes and let the light flow into them. The morning sun rays bounced throughout the cabin, illuminating the still sleeping people within. I lifted my head to look at my fellow cabin mates with my sleep-crusted eyes, whom all were asleep. Marcus was facing the wall away from us, Troye was curled up into a ball under his comforter, and Joe was half way out of his bed, audibly snoring. I Stayed in bed under the comfort of the fabric for a few minutes before motivating myself to get up.

I pick up my phone to look at the time. 6:30. That means everyone will be up in a half hour.

I felt my jaw extend as I let out a yawn, also stretching in the process. I tip-toed over to my dresser and grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Today would be the first day that I wear a t-shirt at the camp.. The self-inflicted wounds from last Sunday were practically blended in with my skin tone. It's amazing how much has changed since then. I've grown way more confident in myself. And it's all because of Troye. He has made me feel so happy and amazing with myself. That boy has done so much. I don't wanna leave camp. But, I know that is inevitable.

I slipped into the sweatpants and threw on the shirt. I slipped on my Converse and trotted into the daybreak. The air was cool, but stuffy with moisture. The sun barely has risen. I headed right, down the path towards the circle drive. There was no human being in sight. The camp looked out of commission, and even abandoned with the lifeless atmosphere. I passed the mess hall to my right, which was quickly followed by the medical tent and the center building. I looked into the building from the glass doors. Inside, the lights were off and it looked inhabited. I moved forward and moved onto the other side of the U. After passing the center building, just before the girls' cabins, I walked onto the familiar dirt path that led to the pond. Upon arrival, I moved towards the nearest wooden bench and sat down.

I've came here before. A few times actually. I came here before everyone woke up. I enjoy the peace and the quiet. It gives me a lot of time and opportunity to think. Especially about him. I really hope he feels the same way about me that I feel about him. I'm not good with love, but I feel like I've been flirting with him as much as possible, and with strong signals nonetheless. Or so I think so. I really wanna have him make the move or say something. Just to prove that he feels SOMETHING. I mean, he's defended and confided to me, but he might be doing just because he understands, doing it as a friend, or just pitying me. I guess I could ask him on my own terms. I mean the worst he could say was no. Right? I guess he could mock me and make fun of me, but that doesn't sound like him. He's just helped me so much with everyth--

"Mind if I join you?"

I was startled and tossed from my deep thinking process from the voice. I turned around behind me to see Caspar. He was in sweatpants and a tank top. His hair was disheveled and his voice was rugged. What would he be doing here? I've been here way more than he has.

"Um, no, not at all." Which, wasn't a lie. I really didn't mind his company. However, it is weird for him to show up. He went around the backside of the bench and sat next to me. He huffed as he sat down. He put his elbows on his knees and hunched forward. We both sat there in comfortable silence as we heard the pond swish side to side. The sun was perched higher up in the sky. I decided to break the silence.

"How are you? You seem relatively happier today." I bashfully said. I didn't really know how to put it. I didn't know if he was touchy or not about it.

"Oh, I feel way better. Troye really, really helped me out last night." He said with a light and uplifted tone. Troye seems to have that effect on people. I don't know what it is. I wish I could be a people person like he is.