[ 006 ] even with the night changes

CHAPTER SIX
❛ even with the night changes ❜

CHAPTER SIX❛ even with the night changes ❜

────────────────────────

News of what happened inside Harrenhal's walls broke out throughout the Red Keep. When a letter arrived from the King's loyal Hand Lyonel and his Heir and Commander of the City Watch ( ─ or former seeing has knocked Ser Crispy to the ground ) Ser Harwin, the protector and sworn shield of Princess Rhaenyra and her children has passed away from a horrible fire. 

"Why must you leave please do not leave us. I will go to grandsire and demand that you stay. " Alyssa pleaded, tears pooling from her eyes. She stood beside her mother who was holding Joffrey. Ser Harwin was leaving after being kicked out of the City Watch. Now he must travel to his father's castle and govern the Harrenhal. 

Harwin had knelt before the Princess and tried to console her. Princess Rhaenyra had refused to meet his eyes as he said his goodbyes. Jace had stood behind his little sister, as he also felt sad to see Harwin, who he saw as a father, and Laenor leave. 

"I wish things could be a different, sweet girl." Harwin had brushed her tears away and Alyssa wrapped her arms around his neck as she sobbed. 

Who was going to teach her how to wield a sword?  Who will protect her family now?

The man blinked back his tears and accepted the embrace, returning the gesture with a tight hug, not enough to hurt her.

"Will I ever see you again?" Alyssa asked this time. 

"Be good to your mother, Princess. I will visit when I can. But that may be some time."

Harwin then brought his hand up to caress the Princess's soft wavy locks. Despite not being his blood. Alyssa was just as much of his blood as his sons. Alyssa Velaryon was his daughter no matter what. He watched her grow from a mere babe to a stubborn but gentle girl. 

He would no longer be there to protect her from the men that wished for his little girl's hand. Nor will he ever see the day when she'll grow to be a swordswoman. Perhaps he'll be fortunate to see her on her wedding day. But even then, Harwin would miss all her milestones. 

Alyssa stood in silence as Ser Harwin said goodbye to Jace and her mother. 

"I will return, I promise," Harwin said this time to Jace and Luke who were on the ground playing with his toys. 

It seemed that Jace understood the genuine relationship between his mother and Harwin. 

He gave his attention to Joffrey next. The man's face crumbled slightly at his sleeping son. Harwin leaned down to kiss Joffrey's head, "We will be strangers when we meet again."

Rhaenyra wanted to cry. The anger and sadness rolled off her shoulders but her stubbornness got the best of her. 

"Princess." Ser Harwin spoke once more in goodbye and in the blink of an eye, he had his bang and sword over his shoulders and left not glancing back. 

Jace and Alyssa went after him for Rhaenyra to panic and follow. "Jace! Lyssa!" 

From that night forward, she learned of her true parentage. She was no Velaryon, but she was still a Targaryen. But in the eyes of the public, some see her as a bastard while others suspected that she was only a legitimate Velaryon due to her hair color and eyes. Rhaenyra promised to never hide who her father is. But before she could tell her, Alyssa said that she was better off not knowing. 

Before she left, Alyssa said her goodbyes to her Aunt and dear friend Helaena and promised to write. When Helaena asked if she had talked to Aemond about her departure, Alyssa scoffed, "As if he'd care." 

"He would have to lose an eye and return be gifted a bride."

They received the next morning from Dragonstone. They had left the Red Keep because of the rumors of her affair with Harwin. Alyssa wish to fly on Cannibal to Dragonstone which Rhaenyra eventually conceded to as long as Laenor rode beside her on Seasmoke. Syrax followed and Dragonkeepers arrived two days later with her brother's dragons that weren't strong enough to fly yet and traveled by foot. 

When her mother received the news that not only did Ser Harwin pass away but her good sister and cousin Laena Velaryon passed away from childbirth. She had died a dragon rider's death by commanding one last order for Vhagar to end her suffering. 

That night Laenor sought the solace of his lover while her mother locked herself in the room. Jace and Laenor were close to one another, sleeping in the same bed that night holding hands. Little Joffrey was too young to understand what was going on. 

It was Alyssa that got out of bed in the middle of the night and made her way to her mother's room.

She crawled into her mother's bed and could see the stained tears on her mother's cheeks. Alyssa clutched her mother's hand in an attempt to ease her mother's sadness, not wanting to overstep her boundaries. 

Rhaenyra said nothing but to bring her daughter close and press multiple kisses all over her face. Her sweet girl, so young and bright like the moon. Alyssa reminded her of her youthful days when she didn't have to worry about responsibility. Yet here she was wise and trying to take care of her mother. 

"My fearless girl . . . my sweet daughter,"

It reminded her of how she used to take care of her late Queen Aemma when she was sick and bedridden. Reading to her and sharing stories of how she and Syrax's daily flight, or complained about her lessons with the Septa. 

How she dreamed of going on dragon back and leaving to explore different lands beyond Kingslanding and be free of responsibility once her mother brings forth a son. 

How time has changed.

Alyssa snuggled close to her mother's chest, "I'm here, mother. I'm not going anywhere,"

That night the mother and daughter shed tears for the loss of Ser Harwin.

𐀔˚ *·ヽ

﹅˚. 𑁍˚. 𓄼 ‹ ━━━━ here is another update for you all. the next chapter is going to be in driftmark. i'm thinking of writing a baela, rhaena, and alyssa moment.

﹅˚. 𑁍˚. 𓄼 ‹ ━━━━ i'm thinking about how rhaenyra should tell daemon like idk how i'm gonna write it. 

﹅˚. 𑁍˚. 𓄼 ‹ ━━━━ WANT A SHOUT-OUT? Comment here.