[ 009 ] he would have to lose an eye

CHAPTER NINE
❛ he would have to lose an eye ❜

CHAPTER NINE❛ he would have to lose an eye ❜

WHEN ALYSSA ASKED WHY HER GRANDSIRE POINTED OUT HER RESEMBLANCE TO A WOMAN NAMED AEMMA, MADE RHAENYRA'S EYES GO BLEAK IN SADNESS

"Your grandsire loved your grandmother very much sweet girl. For a second, when you came into the world, I wanted to honor her by naming her after you, but when you opened your beautiful eyes, I knew you were an Alyssa." Rhaenyra explained to her as her mother combed through her hair. 

"Alyssa Targaryen was your grandsire's mother. Both of you share the same eyes. Your green eye came from Alyssa and your lilac one from Aemma." 

However, Rhaenyra really wanted to say that she named her Alyssa because she wanted to at least give her daughter a meaningful name connected to her true father.

"Your name and eyes are a reminder of both of your grandmothers. It's the biggest honor, but also I feel as though I left a shadow over you," Rhaenyra kissed her head. 

At the time, Alyssa did not understand. She did not like seeing her mother so sad, "Muna I'm sorry for asking," 

"It is alright, I do not mind talking about them. It just keeps their memory alive. Even if they are not with us, they are always here." Rhaenyra gestured to her heart and tickled her sides. Alyssa let out a gasp of surprise and did the same to her mother. 

The little girl and mother erupted into giggles. 

When Alyssa fell asleep that night she wasn't aware of her brothers sneaking out with Baela and Rhaena. The two brothers didn't want to involve their sister, seeing as she was fiercely protective over them despite Jace being the elder. 

Alyssa had started sneezing which made Rhaenys usher her early to bed. Her grandmother even visited her room to feed her dinner and told her stories of her younger days as a dragon rider. 

She woke up in the middle of the night and had a feeling that something was wrong. Alyssa noticed the light coming from her door which was slightly open and assumed that one of her relatives have visited her while she was sleeping.