Chapter 22: Maybe Its Just a Weird Dream

A/N: Lets dedicate this chapter to the soon to be reboot of TBHK. Im very excited for it personally, what about you? :D
———

Amane was unusually running late, and Tsukasa was behind him trying to keep up.

"Amane slow down!!" Tsukasa called out, Amane paused to take a breather but Tsukasa crashed into him, having them both land on the floor. They had an extra two minutes to spare so they could catch their breath and actually get up.

"Yeah yeah, sorry." Amane panted as he looked around, so many things looked off.. The hue's were wonky, and some of the plants were a brighter green than normal, and more small details looked off. He just figured he hasn't adjusted to being awake somehow and got up to walk into the classroom, rubbing his side with Tsukasa behind him.

They sat down at their joint table and grabbed their stuff for the lesson. Tsukasa mainly just drew on his assignments rather than actually do them though. Some of the drawings even scared the teachers.

"You barely made it Yugi."
A familiar voice spoke, he instantly jerked his head to look behind to see her.

"Yashiro what're you doing here?!" Amane shouted, she was in the high school girl's uniform, and she genuinely looked alive, and her ankles were once again appeared bigger like that time in the library. Also why was he in a high schooler classroom?!

"Uhm- just here for class?" Yashiro confusedly answered. Amane grabbed her hands slightly tight, they were warm considered to her ghost form, which was generally ice cold. Yashiro just stared at him with a slightly flushed face.

"But you're dead how-" Everyone was looking over at this point since class had started, even Tsukasa was giving a funny face.

"What do ya mean? Yashiro's always been here Amane!" Tsukasa answered, Amane finally let go of her hands and sat normally in his seat, hiding his red face in his hands in embarrassment.

Yashiro has always been dead right?
Maybe this is just some odd dream..
Thats gotta be it, and if thats the case, maybe he should just take advantage of it. Good dreams are hard to come by. School went by as normal, and Amane just acted completely oblivious to the whole situation. It clearly was just him that felt like something was wrong.

During lunch, he sat with Yashiro and Aoi and a couple of there mutuals. Tsukasa was busy sitting with his small gang of friends somewhere in the school. Amane did find it peculiar that Aoi and Yashiro was hanging out like their past never happened, but he went along with it, they were pretty cool to hang out with anyways. Plus, he got the information on everything. Even on Yashiro herself.

"Theres this guy and he picked up my books after I ran into a door! Hes so cute and I think his name is ____!" Yashiro squealed out.

"Thats really cool! Maybe you got a chance with him for tomorrow!" Aoi cheered.

"Ohhh the dance! I almost forgot about that!!" Yashiro exclaimed, Amane had no recollection of a dance, maybe it was just more strange dream things.

"What dance?" Amane asked, Aoi and Yashiro looked over at him.

"The yearly fall dance they host right before it starts getting cold, its one of the best attended dances the school hosts." Aoi informed, it felt familiar to Amane but he couldn't place his finger on it.

"I already know whoooo Im asking!" Yashiro swooned as she spoke, Amane poked his head out a bit for a better view, now this he had to know.

"Who??" Both Aoi and Amane asked at once.

"Teru Minamoto, the student council president! Its a stretch but we all gotta try sometimes right?" Amane sighed as he went back to eating his uncrustable PBJ. It felt like a sudden wave of disappointment.

"Yeah! And I dunno who I would be taking, I might just go with you Nene-chan, or even Akane."

"Yeah!! What about you? You got anybody you're taking Amane?" Yashiro asked, glancing back over.

"Not that I know of." Amane answered, he got up to throw his trash away and put his tray on the spare table before sitting again.

"Come with us then!" Yashiro suggested, Amane nodded in approval of the plan.

"Alright!"

-Back To The Morning,
Middle School Division-

Kou was going to school early today, he had to talk with a teacher about a grade he got on a science test. So he entered the classroom around 15 minutes early, expecting to see his teacher, but he was welcomed to something much more unsuspecting.

"Mitsuba?!" He froze in the doorway, seeing him cleaning off the chalkboard.

"Uh yeah? Why're you so early Minamoto?"
Mitsuba questioned, putting the chalkboard eraser down on the stand.

"Uhm- I forgot. But how are you here?!" He shouted, grabbing his shoulders.

"Woahhhh Minamoto- calm down jeez-." Mitsuba sighed. "and what do you mean? Ive always been here-"

"What about that weird Tsukasa dude?!"

"Yugi-senpai? Yeah hes a weirdo, but what does he have to do with me being here?" Mitsuba hit Kou's forehead with his index finger to make him let go.

"Okkkk this is weird but uh- Imma just sit down-" Kou mumbled before sitting at his desk, Mitsuba just gave him a weird look before continuing to clean the board.

How is he here?
Whats going on?

Throughout the school day, Kou couldn't focus on anything but Mitsuba. He needed answers on how Mitsuba was there. And he knew just who to ask.

—present time, lunch break—

The three were continuing as normal until the two middle schoolers kicked the cafeteria doors and walked over to stand next to their table. Kou looked at Yashiro, back at Mitsuba, and then back at Yashiro again.

"MINAMOTO LET GO ALREADY YOU-"
Mitsuba shouted, having his tie being held forward by Kou.

"Amane-senpai, you need to come with me lets go!" Kou finally let go of Mitsuba's tie as he pushed Amane out of the lunchroom, the other three just gave a puzzled look before talking again.

"Everything alright??" Amane nervously asked.

"I cant be the only one who thinks this whole thing is weird right?! Ain't Yashiro and Mitsuba dead?" Kou answered, there was a hint of desperation in his voice.

"Yeah I thought the same.. And they are but,"
Amane poked his head through the door to see the three joking around. "Maybe its better this way."

"I mean yeah but why?! You gotta miss reality dont you?" Amane just shot him a look.

"So far, todays been better than a lot of my days in 'reality'." Amane reasoned. "But thats more of a personal reason, I dont blame you for wanting to leave."

"I never said I wanted to leave just- my biggest thing is if its actually them or we just lost it."

"Maybe we should check the practice garden then, if she comes then we know we're just crazy." Amane suggested.

"Uh yeah, lets just go before your break ends."