A story about the past

Y/n pov:

Kunikuzushi and I walked on a path in the forest, on our way to the city.

Every now and then I kept stealing small glances at him, just to see his face a little.
When I caught myself doing so, I always turned away in slight embarrassment.

Thankfully he never noticed me looking. I think.

Kunikuzushi pov:

Was she okay?
Did she have something to say or...?

She kept looking at me occasionally as we walked.

I felt a little awkward as it seems like she thought I hadn't noticed. It was a little cute though.
After a few times I tried not to laugh.

Y/n pov:

"So... is there a reason you like walking on the path so much?" Kunikuzushi asked, breaking the silence.
"What do you mean?" I asked back, not quite understanding the meaning behind the question.

"Well, when I asked if we should take the road, since it takes shorter time to get to the city, you said you wanted to take the forest path instead. I just wondered if there was a reason?" He explained.

I felt the blush from earlier fade quickly. And instead an empty look took over me.

Why I didn't want to walk on the road?

The sound of a loud screeching sound took over my ears, it sounded like a car tire against a wet road.
"It was an accident officer!"

Then I snapped back. "Did you hear that?" I asked. It was a loud sound, surely he must have heard it.
I stopped walking and looked around. Chills creeping up my back at the all too familiar sound and feeling of deja vu.

"Hear what?" He asked, having a slight worried look on his face.

"Oh- no it's nothing!" I quickly evaded. I must be loosing my mind...

"Well... there are a lot of wagons on the road, so it's safer to walk here isn't it?" I explained simply, purposefully leaving out the fact that roads scared the shit out of me.

Then, almost causing me to jump, Kuni turned around and looked into the forest behind us.

He looked in between the bushes with a dominant and scary look. I stayed silent for a while and looked around, wondering what he was doing.
"You okay?" I asked after a few minutes.

Kunikuzushi had stronger senses than I had, I wonder what he reacted to.

"Did you hear anything?" I said, but he didn't answer. He lowered his look and thought for a moment. "Nothing, I must be imagining things." He said and then we kept walking.

I followed him looking like a question mark, but if he didn't want to tell me I guess there was no do.

As we kept walking, I did throw a few glanses into the bushes every now and then, wondering if maybe I could find out what he was searching for.
But I never did, and eventually, we arrived in the city.

-

3rd Pov:

"You almost got us caught you idiot!" A man said.