He wants out

Y/n pov:

"Well hello Aether." I said, walking towards the guy, Paimon right next to him as always.

"It's Y/n!" Said Paimon happily. "How are you? haven't seen you since the celebration." Aether said.

"I'm great. I've been in the sanctuary a lot. And although you might not see me a lot, trust me, I've got eyes outside." I said. Aether nodded understandably.

"So... how's it going with... him?" Aether asked, obviously talking about who he calls Scaramouche and who I call Kunikuzushi.

"Has he woken up yet?" Paimon asked as a follow-up question.

He has. I wanted to say so.
But I was unsure of whether I should tell him.
"It's complicated." I lied. It's not complicated at all. He's awake. And he wants out.

"Nahida thinks he can be reformed." I said. Hoping to tug out a reaction from Aether to figure out what he really thinks about Kuni. If he wants Kuni to have a chance, to walk around the city that he almost doomed.

"I doubt it." Paimon said quickly. I tried my best not to glare at her. Paimon had reason to hate my Kuni. Regardless of how Kuni favoritised me in the battle, he tried to kill Aether.

"What do you think?" I asked him, looking at Aether. Just tell me. What do you want?
It will help me. Or it might be of no use and I don't listen to you at all. And follow my own wishes.

Selfish again. That's all I could think about. I hated this side of me. The side that only cared about my own means and priorities. The side that will betray without batting an eye. Perhaps it was me looking down on people because I still saw this world as a game in my hand.

"Well... Paimon's right. No matter what. Just make sure to keep an eye on him. I believe that he shouldn't even be awake yet. Maybe to give us more time to figure out what to do with him." Aether spoke.

I see. So that's how it is.
What to do with him, he said. He wants us to have control over him, if that's it, he certainly doesn't want Kuni to walk around in the city.

"Y/n..." Aether continued. "Could you tell me about your past with him? Maybe... it will help me understand."

Not now. Not today.
I understand he wants to know. And I will tell him one day. After all I know this guy more than he knows. I trust Aether. He'll find out one way or another if I don't tell him anyways. Perhaps he'll find out on accident.

And if I'm going to spill the beans about Japan to Kuni. Then it'll be enough talking for me for now.

I gave Aether a gentle smile. "I promise, you'll know one day. Whether I tell you or not." I said. Surprisingly, Aether nodded understandably.

My smile grew.
That's right. Aether trusts me as well.

-

I walked through the big door of the sanctuary, into the main room with Nahida's carriage.

I didn't pay the surroundings much attention, and instead walked towards the room where Kuni would be resting.

My hands laid on the door handle, a small glow in my palm, unlocking the door as I opened it.

My eyes widened as they laid upon the room. A small gasp escaped my mouth. The room was empty. I felt my pulse rise.