Part Ten

| Hazel |

"So you're self sabotaging?" Riri asked as we were sitting around the fire pit in my backyard, discussing what happened with Shuri.

"I wouldn't call it that" I shrugged.

"I would." My older sister chimed in as she walked through the back door.

"Have your ears always been this good?"'I asked, confused about how she even knew what we were talking about.

"Yes. Now my turn. Why are you self sabotaging?" She asked taking a seat with Riri and I.

"I'm not" I defended, knowing they were about to tag team me.

"Madison is literally sitting in there with your girl-"

"Not my girl." I clarified, interrupting her.

"Your girl" She rolled her eyes "because you were being too stubborn to actually admit that you like her."

"I don't."

Her and Riri looked at each other, rolling their eyes up into their head.

"You guys have only been here for a few hours and I'm pretty sure everyone in here knows there's something there."

"There isn't" I responded, keeping my answers short.

"You threw a drink on Madison" Riri made sure to remind me.

"I hate Madison"

"You've hated Madison since you were 5."

"Breaking point" I shrugged.

"You have a comeback for literally everything" Hayleigh laughed. "Just admit that you like the girl"

"I'm not admitting anything, because I don't."

"Are you trying to convince me? or you?" Hayleigh asked, finally giving up on the conversation and going back into the house.

"I agree." Riri added, leaning back into her chair.

"Can you just help me prepare for this bonfire" I rolled my eyes, changing the subject.

Tonight we were hosting our yearly Friendsgiving bonfire.

It's always the night before Thanksgiving and usually consists of some friends from high school, games, and drinks.

It was the perfect time to catch up and enjoy each other before preparing for the end of the semester.

Shuri and Madison were still sitting on the couch in the living room when I entered. Her legs were propped up on Shuri, making me roll my eyes as hard as I could.

My hope was for her to be gone by the time the bonfire started, but I already knew she was stalling so that she could be here for it.

Riri & I began prepping, putting weenies and marshmallows on sticks for us to roast.

I grabbed a couple of blankets and pillows, taking them outside and placing them around the fire pit.

It had just turned  7 and I knew people were going to start to show up soon, making me excited to see friends that I hadn't seen all year.

• • •

"Hi Everyone" I greeted, smiling as everyone sat down in their spots around the bonfire. "I'm glad you all could make it." I squealed, grabbing the weenies we had prepared and passing one to everyone.

Everyone already knew how this was suppose to go. We sat around the fire roasting our weenies and marshmallows while catching each other up on what was going on in our lives.