Part Twenty Two

| Shuri |

"Wait, so absolutely no one has heard from her?" Riri's friend, Mallory, asked as she sat down on one of the stools at the kitchen bar.

"Nope." We responded in unison.

"When's the last time you guys saw her or talked to her?"

"The day that she found out about the almost kiss." Riri sighed.

"Riri, that was literally 3 days ago. It's not like Hazel to just leave and not say anything or let anyone know anything. She didn't say anything to you either Shuri?" She asked, looking in my direction.

"No," I muttered under my breath. "We weren't really on the best of terms."

"Okay wait, so she's mad at you too?" Riri asked, laughing.

"I don't think it's funny." I responded giving her a serious look.

"Sorry... I just wasn't expecting both of us to fuck up this bad."

"Pretty sure it's all your fault."

"Mm, pretty sure I wasn't the one that told you to tell her that you guys weren't together. That's all you."

"As much as I would love to hear this argument, can we just focus on what's important right now." Mallory asked, interrupting our bickering.

I sighed thinking back to the moment that I told her that. The look on her face did something to me and then she just up and left and didn't tell anyone anything.

To say I was worried was an understatement.

"Have you guys contacted her family? How are you so calm about this?"

"I did" Riri responded, "They haven't heard from or seen her either. Trust me, I'm not this calm on the inside."

"Shuri you don't have like some rapid response team or something that can find her?"

"Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work like that." I sighed.

"Okay. Let's just take a beat for a minute." Riri suggested, attempting to calm the girl down.

"I just don't understand how you are so calm about this. She could literally be anywhere and we're just sitting here doing nothing!" Her voice began to raise as she stood up from the stool.

"Shuri, can you give us a minute?" Riri asked.

I nodded, getting up and walking into the guest room.

The thought of Hazel wouldn't leave my mind. The thought of her being out there all alone for this many days. The thought of the last interaction that we had before she left.

I couldn't leave things like that.

As hard as I tried not to be, the truth is I was afraid.

I knew that she could hurt me, because I liked her so much. It wasn't like that with Bria. She was easy and convenient. I didn't care enough to actually be hurt by anything that she did.

But with Hazel, it was different. Even the sight of her with someone else made me feel with rage. I just wanted her all to myself.

She made me feel so happy. Which is why I wanted her to come back home with me. I wanted the person that had given me so much light during my dark times to see the place and things that made me, me.

"You okay?" Riri's voice broke my train of thought.

"Yeah." I sighed, "You okay?"

She shook her head no, sitting down beside me on the bed.

"I'm scared." She admitted, and her face definitely said it. "What if she's not okay?" Her voice started to crack.

"Hey.. I'm sure she's fine."

I was trying the best that I could to convince myself of that as well.

"I just feel so bad." A tear fell from her eyes, rolling down her cheek. "She didn't deserve that. I'm such a horrible friend."

"You are not." I objected, pulling her into a hug. "You were doing what you thought was best for her. I know it probably wasn't the best way, but your intentions were good."

She sat there, sobbing in my arms as I tried my best to comfort her.

"I'm sorry." She muttered, sitting up and wiping tears from her eyes.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked, confused.

"I messed things up between you guys. You looked so happy with her and I fucked it up."

"It's fine Riri, It wasn't all your fault anyway. I may have played a role."

"Yeah, you definitely fucked it up more than me." She laughed, making me roll my eyes. "I know you really like her though. I could see it every time you guys were together. She really likes you too."'

I felt my cheeks warm up at the thought of every one of our interactions.

"You know she told me what you said." Her body tensed up before I could finish my sentence.

"It was true." She mumbled, "But Im rooting for you guys. I'll get over it... eventually." She looked at me, giving me a small smile.

"I don't know if she's really rooting for us anymore." I sighed.

"I'm actually really invested in this so I need you to get your shit together." She laughed. "I bet she's just as scared as you." She said as if she could read my mind. "of being hurt. She's worth it Shuri."

"She is." I agreed, "I won't fuck it up again. If she even gives me another chance."

"If we find her." The look of sadness reappeared on her face.

"When." I said, correcting her.

She smiled, giving me a hug.

"Thank you."

"You know, I really cherish our friendship." I gave her a reassuring smile.

"Me too." She smiled back.

The sound of her phone vibrating interrupted us. She looked down then back up at me with a little bit of hope in her eyes.

"It's Hazels mom.."

"Answer it."

She hit the green button, quickly putting the phone up to her ear and standing up from the bed.

"Mhm, mhm" She repeated into the phone.

"We gotta go." She demanded as she hung up the phone. Her face still had worry in it and not enough relief.

"They think they found her."

• • •

Y'all are really the best. 🥹 Im so proud of how much I've accomplished with this book and it's all thanks to y'all! I'm thinking about wrapping it up soon but I appreciate all of the support from y'all! ♥️