Part Seventeen

| Hazel |

I decided to pack up some of my things and head back home for Christmas. I knew being there with them would only lead to me doing or saying something that I would regret later on.

I knew eventually I would get over it and everything would be back to normal, but right now I just felt angry and betrayed.

"I'm homeeeee." I sang as I walked through the front door of my moms house to be greeted by literally no one.

I sighed walking up the stairs and immediately going to my moms room where she was sleeping peacefully in her bed.

I laughed, making my way over to the bed and jumping up and down like the big kid that I was.

"Mom! Wake up! It's Christmas!" I yelled, making her jump up out of her sleep.

"Oh my goodness. Hazel, what're you doing here." She asked as her hand rested on her chest.

"I don't think that's the way you should greet me." I laughed, flopping down on the bed beside her.

"Hi honey." She smiled, bringing me into a hug. "Where's Riri?" She asked, looking over at the doorway.

"I swear you love her more than me." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I do not. She's just usually with you."

"I just wanted to come alone." I shrugged, avoiding eye contact.

She squinted her eyes at me, not believing anything that had just come out of my mouth.

"Okay let's try that again but you tell me the truth this time. Where's Riri?" She repeated, sitting back against her headboard.

"We had a little disagreement." I sighed.

There wasn't a lot of people that I could talk to about things but my mom was definitely at the top of the list, after Riri of course.

Her eyebrows rose, as she sat silently waiting for an explanation.

I sighed, explaining everything that's been happening between me and Shuri and the situation that went down last night.

She nodded, processing everything I had just told her. I actually felt relieved after getting it out and into the open.

"So I was right." She smirked, "You do like Shuri."

"Mom, that was not the point of this."

"I'm sorry, I've just never actually seen you like someone. I was getting a little worried." She laughed.

"Oh my gosh." I sighed, smacking my hand against my forehead.

"I know you're going to hate to hear this but... I kinda agree with Riri."

"Because you love her more than me." I rolled my eyes again.

"No." She laughed. "Do you remember when you were seven and you had a pet dog? Fluffy?" She asked, bringing up my childhood pet.

"Yeah, and he ran away." I responded, not understanding where this was going.

"He actually got hit by a car." She shrugged, nonchalantly.

"What?! You told me he ran away!"

"The point is." She started, disregarding my shock. "I told you that because I didn't wanna see you hurt. Which is the same reason why Riri didn't tell you about her and Shuri."

"I think the point is I'm surrounded by liars."

She laughed, now rolling her eyes at me. "You're surrounded by people that love you and that think they're doing what's best to see you be happy."