32. Race Day Rescue

When Blurr reached the academy's construction site, it was late afternoon, and he saw Salvage bending down at one of the projection posts on the perimeter of the yard. "Hey, Salvage! I'm back!"

Salvage nodded but didn't look up to make optic contact as he worked on wiring something in, "I see that... Where'd you go?"

"Oh, ya know... Out for a little wind in my grill... Hey, did you know Sigma 17 is back from the dead?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I found out weeks ago."

"And you never said anything!?"

"You never asked."

"Why would I ask a question I thought I already had the answer to?"

"Gee, what a question..."

Salvage got up and closed the panel on the post. "There. The defensive shield is up. Now only someone whose scan is in the system can come and go through those doors."

"Sweet!"

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wash this oil off of me..."

Blurr started towards the courtyard after his friend, but jumped as a forcefield slammed shut on him, blocking him from getting closer. "Hey! Elma, open the forcefield!" He hollered at the academy's AI.

A hologram of the scientist appeared in front of him, a smile of customer service on her face. I'm sorry, but you're not in the registration of accepted scans. Have a nice day!

"What!? Come on, Elma!" Blurr hollered, but the hologram disappeared. "Ugh... Salvage, something's wrong with the AI!"

"No there's not..." Salvage sang.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Salvage walked away towards the door, hands folded behind his back. "I may have... deleted your scan from the system."

"What!? Why!?"

"Look up 'The Little Red Hen' and then get back to me."

The recycling truck then went into the building and disappeared from sight.

"Salvage? Salvage! Where are you going? Salvage!"

But the recycling truck was flat-out ignoring him; he'd never ignored him like this before. The racer frowned as he put his hands on his hips, trying to work this out in his processor. He then groaned, there was really only one other place he could go now... To Griffin Rock and face down Sigma 17. "Great...!"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After the long discussion with Dani, the Burnses went back downstairs to check on the bots. Chief Burns was relieved to see Blades was more like himself, though he still seemed a bit upset by the day's events; who could blame him? The fury had faded some amongst the household, but there was still the matter of punishment for Dani's actions. She was grounded big time, and only allowed to go out with Blades accompanying her.

"I'll make it up to you all, I promise."

"I know you will..." Chief informed, "...Start by never doing something like that again."

They turned as they heard the door open, and saw Blurr standing on the driveway. It looked like he'd just driven on the ocean floor all the way to the island, as seaweed was tangled up in one of his wheels and sand clung to his chassis.

"Got a cube of energon to spare, guys...? I'm wiped after that drive over here..." He huffed.

Heatwave crossed his arms with a glare, "You've got a lot of nerve showing your faceplate here so soon after that stunt!"